[Anst-dancers] AGED Meeting and Financial issues

Kaitlyn McKenna kaitlyn_mckenna at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 15 15:04:02 PDT 2003

Ahh...something I can chime in on...

>Due to the generosity of Three Bridges, the Dance Guild will be receiving
>some of the profits from KWDS (I am unsure what sort of total we're talking
>about here).  Currently, our by-laws give no hints, directions, etc. for
>the
>handling of funds by the guild.  So, we need to think about how we would
>like to deal with this issue.  Some things to consider are:
>*do we need a financial committee like the Cantons and larger groups have?

If AGED applies to be recognized as a financial entity in Ansteorra, having
its own bank account, then  it will need a financial committee and will have
to do all the regular financial reporting for Kingdom level accounts(quarter
reports.)  The rest of your questions are items to be addressed in a
financial policy for the group.
>*if so, who is on it and how can they "hold meetings" to make decisions?
>*what sort of things are an acceptable forum to spend that money?
>*will we have ways to replensih the funds or even need to do so?

If AGED chooses to be a designated fund within the Kingdom account (like the
College of Heralds) your financial committee would be the Kingdom financial
committee, but like the Heralds, you could decide internatl rules as to who
submits requests for funds and such (like Star). The easier route for the
group would be to be a designated fund within the Kingdom account so that
you don't have to have a treasurer or do any reports. You would be deciding
your spending rules either way.

>Ideas already mentioned for spending the money include paying to publish
>the
>Ansteorran Dance Manual, paying to ship a copy of said manual to all
>recognized political groups in Ansteorra (to be kept by an A&S minister or
>seneschal or such), helping cover expenses of dance teachers traveling to
>teach in other areas of Ansteorra, "Scholarships" to help Newbie's attend
>dance events, helping to get a Ansteorra Dance Music CD or such made and
>distributed.

Everyone keep in mind that SCA funds can only be used for certain things.
Most of the above are okay, but the "scholarships" idea has more problems
than doing the scholarships would be worth.

>Along with that question:
>If we cover the expense of publishing the manual, to whom should it be
>available and at what cost?  Should all dance instructors get one free?
>Should anyone who wants one get one free?  Should all groups (political
>and/or dance classes)get one free copy and then pay for additional copies?

Again, using SCA funds for the items will determine some of the above for
you. Basically, no one individual can benefit from the SCA stuff, so if you
make something free for a particular category of person, anyone has to be
able to be a part of that category. Just tread lightly( no pun intented)
when considering freebies.

>It's a big issue and since it involves money a potentilally volatile one,
>so
>think carefully about your responses.  I will share my own opinions but did
>not want to bias the discussion at the start.
>
>In service to dance,
>Lady Melissent the Capricious (Capricia)

--kaitlyn
exchequer ansteorra