[Anst-dancers] Badge for the Guild

Craig Shupee' philipwhite at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 15 12:28:57 PST 2004

Greetings Dancers –

I have a suggestion for our guilds badge.  Forgive the length, but I want to
try and be clear.

As I see it – the badge must represent two things clearly – dance and
Ansteorra.

I made use of the heraldic consultation table at Coronation this weekend,
and this is what I have learned and would like to offer.

First, concerning the colors on the badge, I think we should use Or and
Sable.  Currently – we have no color associated with out guild or with
dance.  The colors we do have are the black and gold, and they easily
symbolize the kingdom.  Other colors on the Kingdom devise are gules and
vert (red and green), which we could also use.  Argent (white) is an option
as well as the other metal.

Second, I think we should employ an ‘Ensign of Allegiance.’  This is a late
period Italian heraldic practice that could show our loyalty as a dance
community to Ansteorra.

Its blazon would be: “on a chief or a mullet of five greater and five lesser
points sable.’

That is:
A gold bar across the top of the badge with an ‘Ansteorran Blackstar’ in the
middle of the gold bar.

With this ‘Ensign of Allegiance’ in use, we would need to makes these
decisions:

The badge’s field:  sable, vert, or, gules (black, green, red) to match the
Kingdom device.

And a charge:  Either or or argent (yellow or white) and something that
represents dance.

If we keep the badge very simple we would have the following:

Sable, {charge chosen by guild } or, on a chief or a mullet of five greater
and five lesser points sable

A black circle with some charge the color of gold in the middle of it with a
gold bar across the top of the badge with an ‘Ansteorran Blackstar’ in the
middle of the gold bar.

Then we would only have to choose the charge we thought best represented
dance, since we would have already shown commitment to the kingdom as a
guild.

There has been the mention of a peacock feather.  This implying the pomp and
showiness of dance.  Applied to this idea we would have:

Sable, a peacock feather or, on a chief or a mullet of five greater and five
lesser points sable.
-or-
A black circle with a gold peacock feather in the middle of it with a gold
bar across the top of the badge with an ‘Ansteorran Blackstar’ in the middle
of the gold bar.

Another option could be legs in some form, such as:

Sable, a triskelion of human legs or, on a chief or a mullet of five greater
and five lesser points sable.
-or-
A black circle with three gold legs conjoined at the hip the middle of it
with a gold bar across the top of the badge with an ‘Ansteorran Blackstar’
in the middle of the gold bar.

“A triskelion, Greek for three-leg is associated with progress and
competition, and originated in ancient Greece, where it for instance was
used on coins.  Nowadays one can find the triskelion on the coat of arms of
the Isle of Man, the island between Great Britain and Ireland.”

The above is butchered from the following websites:
http://www.symbols.com/encyclopedia/16/1632.html
http://www.symbols.com/encyclopedia/32/3217.html

They show a picture of a triskelion.  (It also shows how it is related to
other symbols, which some people have expressed concern over.)

We could also do a foot, a slipper, shoes, or legs in a different form.

Once we decide on a favorite, and possibly on a few back ups, we can
unofficially present them to the Kingdom Herald, and he will start us on
correctly filling the forms out, conflict checking, and getting Crown
approval, etc.

~Philip