[Anst-dancers] Badge for the Guild

Russell Kinder russmax at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 15 14:52:53 PST 2004

Thank you Philip for furthering this discussion!

On Thursday, January 15, 2004, at 02:28  PM, Craig Shupee' wrote:

> the badge must represent two things clearly: dance and Ansteorra.
>
> First, concerning the colors on the badge, I think we should use Or
> and Sable.
> Second, I think we should employ an ‘Ensign of Allegiance.’  This is a
> late period Italian heraldic practice that could show our loyalty as a
> dance community to Ansteorra.

I am in full agreement with all of these!

> Sable, a peacock feather or, on a chief or a mullet of five greater
> and five lesser points sable.
> -or-
> A black circle with a gold peacock feather in the middle of it with a
> gold bar across the top of the badge with an ‘Ansteorran Blackstar’ in
> the middle of the gold bar.

I like this idea the best.

> Another option could be legs in some form, such as:
>
> Sable, a triskelion of human legs or, on a chief or a mullet of five
> greater and five lesser points sable.
> -or-
> A black circle with three gold legs conjoined at the hip the middle of
> it with a gold bar across the top of the badge with an ‘Ansteorran
> Blackstar’ in the middle of the gold bar.

> “A triskelion, Greek for three-leg is associated with progress and
> competition, and originated in ancient Greece, where it for instance
> was used on coins.  Nowadays one can find the triskelion on the coat
> of arms of the Isle of Man, the island between Great Britain and
> Ireland.”
>
> The above is butchered from the following websites:
> http://www.symbols.com/encyclopedia/16/1632.html
> http://www.symbols.com/encyclopedia/32/3217.html
>
> They show a picture of a triskelion.  (It also shows how it is related
> to other symbols, which some people have expressed concern over.)

I love this idea - Guillaume and I almost had triskele on our devices.
Then a biker came to a local heraldic meeting, and gave us some very
strange looks. He thought the devices we had drawn looked like a racist
symbol he often sees worn at biker gatherings. He looked at what we had
proposed a little closer, and realized what we had on our proposed
devices was only similar. Even then, he thought the feet could easily
be mistaken for arms with hammers. We nixed those particular devices.
It isn't as though there aren't a fair amount of bikers in the SCA. We
felt that we would rather not plaster our stuff with a symbol that
might lead to misunderstandings.

I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable wearing a badge that resembled a
racist symbol, especially since badges can look similar to patchers
bikers sew on their garments.

For more information: http://www.adl.org/hate_symbols/Triskele.asp

> We could also do a foot, a slipper, shoes, or legs in a different form.

That sound good to me.

~ Isabeau