[Anst-dancers] North Texas Irish Festival

Christi & Dustin Cooper dccooper at cox.net
Tue Jan 27 06:06:13 PST 2004

On Jan 26, 2004, at 1:52 PM, Bre'nainn / Noble wrote:

>  I understand that the typical neo-Irish step dancing is not part of
> your repitoire, but in earlier times, OUR dancing would have been a
> big part of Irish society, and thus very appropriate.  Hence the
> invitation....

You know, there are about three (if not four) dances in Playford's 1651
book (I know: it is not "Period" blah, blah, blah) that have the word
"Jegg"  (Jig) in the title. Of course he never explains what a jig step
is, but I thought that was interesting, since someone is talking about
Irish dancing.

On that note, there was a latter version of the Dancing Master that has
the word Galliard in the title too (I think 1690 or something, I do not
feel like checking right now). And, yes, he never describes what a
galliard is, but I though it would amuse all of the dancers out there
who know how to galliard (in a English Country Dance, Ha!). I doubt it
used Galliard steps, but it would be funny to reconstruct
an English Country Dance and have Galliards in it. I think the most
amusing part about it is all the dancers would be kicking each other as
they try and get around each other!

Morgan Ellisse

P.s. If anyone wants to see that ECD called "The Galliard" let me know.
I can pull it off the Library of Congress's web site.