[Anst-dancers] Dancing at Gulf Wars XIV

Octavio de Flores octaviodeflores at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 29 15:28:55 PST 2004

Greetings to the fine Dancers of Ansteorra,
>From the humble Octavio de Flores of Trimaris,

I am writing to request your assistance and participation in Gulf Wars dance
activities.  One can argue whether I was in the right place or the wrong
place, but I was there to volunteer when the autocrat was looking for
someone to coordinate dance activities, so I am the dance coordinator for
Gulf Wars this year.

The main goal is to increase participation and interest, and hopefully to
foster increased communication (teaching and learning) among the kingdoms.
I would like to see the opportunity for leading dance pass each year to
another kingdom, so we can all share in the challenge.

One vision I have toward the goal is for each kingdom to host one night’s
revel during the war.  My first thought is for the following schedule in the
evenings:

Tuesday: Meridien-hosted revel
Wednesday: Trimarian-hosted revel
Thursday: Ansteorran-hosted revel
Friday: no activity (the autocrat wants no conflicts with the Knowne World
party)
Saturday: End of the World revel (I will host, pulling favorite dances from
each of the kingdom-sponsored revels)

The host kingdom will set the dance list, so favorite dances from each
kingdom will be represented at the war.  The host may provide theme and
refreshments, if they would like.

I will do my best to make sure there is live music for all of the evening
revels.  Mistress Marie of Trimaris will be the coordinator.  But like the
dancing, I would like to involve musicians from the various kingdoms that
have an interest.

We also need teachers every day, Tuesday through Saturday morning.  I am
going to start with the idea of one 90-minute class at 10:30 and one at 1:30
each day (maybe not Saturday afternoon).  If there is a greater desire, we
can schedule more.

I don’t know yet what level of cooperation we will have from the camp or
autocrat staff.  I have asked that the dangerous carpet in the main hall be
addressed, and have requested a better location than the basketball court
for classes.  I do not know if anything can be done in either instance.

Please let me know if you are interested (or not), and if there is someone
else that speaks for your kingdom regarding dance (please feel free to
forward to anyone with an interest!).

Yours in Service,

Master Octavio de Flores