[Anst-dancers] Hermit's Bransle?

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Tue Aug 9 19:42:54 PDT 2005

Hermit's Bransle.  The chorus I learned (well, as best I remember,
since it was years ago) was: turn single 180 degrees with four kicks,
then cross arms over the chest and bow twice from the waist, then
again to face the center of the circle.

In the Kingdom Dance insert, Ihon gives the chorus (aside from _three_
kicks while turning) as
    with arms crossed over the chest and bowing, touch right toe to
    left instep, then left toe to right instep, then right toe to left
    instep and close

One bow?

Any suggestions on how to do that footwork in any reasonable way?
When I tried it on my own with the rather sprightly music, there was
enough torsion that it looked like I was doing the Twist.  I don't
mind waggling my butt while dancing, but I prefer to be in a gay bar
instead of at the Wells Branch Community Center.  A version I Googled
had touching the toe to the heel, which led me to end up looking like
I was kicking each foot forward in turn, which at least looks more
dignified.

Danihel de Lindocollino
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com