[Anst-dancers] Hermit's Bransle?

tmcd@panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Fri Sep 9 18:40:13 PDT 2005

On Fri, 9 Sep 2005, Charlene Charette <perronnelle at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Having "spoken" with Daniel off-list, apparently the bottom-wiggle
> was caused by the way he was doing the marque pied.  I explained my
> interpretation to him and that seems to have helped.

Specifically, you got me a photocopy of a page showing the step -- was
that from a translation of Arbeau?

The topic was Hermit's Bransle and where it says to "touch the toes of
one foot to the instep of the other".  I had been assuming that the
motion was horizontal: that the feet were planted apart a bit, so
touching one foot to the other required rotating the foot about 75
degrees or so.  Since we all know that the foot bone's connected to
the shinbone, the shinbone's connected to the thighbone, the
thighbone's connected to the hip bone, it cause shimmyness.

She wrote:
> "Marque pied" is described thusly:
> Arbeau: Sometimes, when one foot has taken the body's weight and is
> placed in position to support it*, the toe of the other foot is
> brought close up against the foot on the ground.  This movement is
> called marque pied, to wit, marque pied droit [right] when the right
> toe performs the movement and marque pied gauche [left] when the
> left toe does.
>
> * Sutton footnote:
> The French for this passage reads ....  This indicates a leap or hop
> <i>onto<i> the supporting foot, a fact that is not made clear in the
> translation.
> Personally, I think the marque pied can look similar to a little kid
> hopping because he has to use the toilet.

So the planted foot is ___

                          /
                         /
and the other foot is   /

It looks to me more like jogging in place.  It's also curiously hard
to do the bowing and the jogging at the same time, rather like rubbing
your tummy and patting your head.

Still, so our forefathers danced it, so will I essay to do, or the
kingdom is doomed.

Danyell de Linccolne
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com