[Anst-dancers] Dancing fading?

Cindy Derrick cindy at mccr.org
Mon Nov 26 09:22:35 PST 2007

Lowrie,
Good to hear you are well.  I find dance is like a young child it needs
to be a conscious effort to add to the events . You don't just show up
with the child and expect it to take care of itself. I find event
stewards have a  packed schedule and many don't want the addition of
dance at the end of a long day. Unlike fighters who get three in the
same proximity and a pick up fight occurs.

In recent months I hear people complain about not enough chivalric
activities and I feel there is not enough dancing. I would like to see
more dance in the kingdom but I don't hear  much talk or communication.
What are other people doing about dance? Is it dead, quiet, or just
needs resuscitation? Do we need to get several teachers together and
teach others how to teach a dance?  Schedule regional dance practice?

When Kingdom dance was in Bryn Gwlad most of the local dancers had
responsibilities to the event, baron, site, We were there but most were
not dancing. I am not sure why Kingdom dance this year was canceled.
Possibly the same situation most of the staff had other responsibilities
to take care of the event.

Most of the people in the Bryn Gwlad guild at present enjoy dance and
the revels. I don't see many of them traveling. I have tried dancing in
the park, announcements twice a month demos as recruiting. We get the
occasional visit to guild but to date I don't see many checking out
dance and staying in the guild.

Our music guild is working with the dancers once a month. I see this as
a plus both for the dancers and the musicians. We are looking forward to
live music at our dance balls in the future.

Respectfully submitted,
Isabella of Bryn Gwlad