[Anst-dancers] Dancing fading?

Antonello antonello.sca at sbcglobal.net
Mon Nov 26 19:19:33 PST 2007

Lowrie!  it's so good to hear that you are playing (albeit just a little)
again!  i was genuinely excited when i heard from Perronnelle that you might
be at Yule for KDMS.  i miss your energy level and your passion for dance in
general.

Myfanwy, i also am concerned about the level of involvement from the masses.
The Stargate Sunday Dance Guild has gone through some pretty severe up and
down motions.  currently we are down, not unlike so many others in the
Kingdom.  My take on the whole dance thing is this:

1.  New blood is vital.  SCA in general hasnt performed well in recruiting
new members, or in retention for that matter.  of course, i'm just as much
to blame as anyone for that.  Sometimes life just rears its ugly head and
cant be ignored.  I do, however, make an effort when i can to talk about
those aspects that might interest the person i'm speaking to, but let's face
it...not everyone 'gets' SCA.  i've been accused of being in a cult, running
away from life, and everything in between.  But i digress.  Our guild is
planning a move in 2008 to Central Market where we can perhaps attract a new
crowd.  Garb will be encouraged.
2.  Time to dance.  I believe that if dance is to flourish, time needs to be
dedicated for it.  I dont see a real effort being made to have dance on the
schedule at events.  i'm not talking about an 'aside' ball or an
afterthought, but a genuine and sincere commitment made to have court
dancing or a ball at major kingdom events no matter where they are held.
This means someone has to coordinate it and they have to be held accountable
for coordinating it properly.  We all need to step up and make that happen.
3.  AGED?  what's that?  I forgot it existed!  In my opinion, AGED's number
one priority should be PR.  AGED (that's us, ya'll) needs to be representing
the dance community to make sure dance is happening frequently at events.
It also needs to be supporting local and regional guilds with a regular
presence and maybe even materials, advice and whatever else it may see as
beneficial.
4.  Support from the top.  Dance can only be guaranteed if it is supported
from their Majesties and the heirarchy.  From the Kingdom to the Barony to
the Shire, dance and other performing arts need to be encouraged by our
leaders.  What i'd like to know is: why do i so rarely see performances at
court or during a ball.  i've never seen a King or Queen command/request
(planned or otherwise) that a dance or song or tale be perfomed solely for
his/her entertainment.  i'm opening myself up here, i know.  But that alone
would force many of us more dedicated souls to grow our skills and
repertoire.  Also, our fighters really need to be encouraged to learn how to
dance.  Sir William of Weir swears that dancing helped his footwork and
agility.  Perhaps an "armor-clad dance-a-thon" is in order at an upcoming
event.
5.  What's danced.  While i dont mean to purposely disrespect anyone here,
we need to dance what the masses want to dance.  if that means we dance 80%
beginner-to-mid level dances every week at practice, then that's what we
should do.  Now, DON"T confuse that with not expanding the horizons of the
dance community.  I'm all for advanced dances and would like to learn more
of them myself, but if you as a teacher are the only one who has an interest
in really developing your skill to that level, you may just have to travel a
little to get your fix.  Perhaps the regional dance practice mentioned is
worth a look with both a beginner session and an advanced session.

Just my 2 cents.

I would love to see as many of you at Yule as can make it.  I am
coordinating a masked ball and invite all here to come revel at 2pm this
Saturday.

Ld Antonello
Stargate Sunday Dance Principle
Barony of the Stargate