[Anst-dancers] New World forms....

Charlene Charette charlene281 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 21:36:55 PST 2009

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 6:03 PM, Gabriel Sanchez <duskshade at gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't know if this topic has been explored, but I was wondering about the
> art of capoeira and its possible role in SCA arts.
>
> For those who don't know - capoeira came from African slaves held in Brazil
> during the beginning of the Brazilian slave trade as a martial art
> masquerading as a game or dance.  This can historically be pointed to in the
> 1500s when the Dutch began trading slaves to the Portuguese for shipping to
> Brazil.  While definitive documentation concerning most thing slave-related
> was destroyed during abolition in the 1800s, folk tradition within capoeira
> traces it back to the beginnings of the slave trade, making it late period
> but within SCA purview.
>
> So, given this, is there a problem incorporating a short solo capoeira
> performance in SCA events?  My second question is whether it would be
> appropriate alongside the other dance arts or a hafla?

If you're wanting to enter an A&S or dance competition, I think you'll
find a problem with lack of documentation.  "Folk tradition" is not
always accurate and you'd need to show that the art hasn't mutated
over time.

On the other hand, if you're wanting to do a performance, go for it.
I've seen capoeira in performance and it's amazing to watch.  You
might spark the interest of other folk who want to explore it.

--Perronnelle

--
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but
I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.  --