[Anst-dancers] New World forms....

Gabriel Sanchez duskshade at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 16:03:01 PST 2009

Greetings and Salutations All!

I don't know if this topic has been explored, but I was wondering about the
art of capoeira and its possible role in SCA arts.

For those who don't know - capoeira came from African slaves held in Brazil
during the beginning of the Brazilian slave trade as a martial art
masquerading as a game or dance.  This can historically be pointed to in the
1500s when the Dutch began trading slaves to the Portuguese for shipping to
Brazil.  While definitive documentation concerning most thing slave-related
was destroyed during abolition in the 1800s, folk tradition within capoeira
traces it back to the beginnings of the slave trade, making it late period
but within SCA purview.

So, given this, is there a problem incorporating a short solo capoeira
performance in SCA events?  My second question is whether it would be
appropriate alongside the other dance arts or a hafla?

In Service,
Gabriel Talavera Sanchez de Zaragoza
Bjornsborg