[Ansteorra-marshals] Rapier marshallate question for Red Tape

Jay Rudin rudin at peoplepc.com
Tue Jul 12 22:28:57 PDT 2011

I have a question I'd like brought up at the rapier marshal's meeting this weekend.

At the Steppes rapier practice, we have a blind would-be youth fencer. She'll be eighteen in October, so the youth rules won't apply for long.

She's attended two practices now, and pretty soon we'll have to put a blade in her hands. She's held one for footwork drills, but she hasn't crossed blades yet.

I know that modern blind fencing involves keeping the blades engaged, but I don't know anything beyond that. People have suggested putting bells on the tip and/or wrist so she can tell where it is. I tried it with the only small blade I had, and it didn't work. I couldn't hear it through the hood and mask. So does anybody know what kind of small bells would be loud enough?

If anybody can supply bells loud enough to work, or some other idea, I'd love to hear it.

And yes, she's the second blind youth fencer we've had. The first one only lasted for three weeks, though, so never progressed past footwork drills.

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin