[Ansteorra-marshals] Rapier marshallate question for Red Tape

James Crouchet james at crouchet.com
Wed Jul 13 08:30:52 PDT 2011

Obviously this will take some experimenting but I don't think blindfolding
the other guy belling them both is the right answer. The blind guy has
experience moving without sight but the other guy does not. I agree with
Fiacha, bell the opponent. Perhaps a set of bells on elastic bands (and
probably some other attachment methods too) can be made for the blind guy to
carry with him so when he fights he can ask his opponent to put them on. It
will become part of his kit. I would include different bells for each hand,
bells for the feet, waist, head, and sword hilt. It would be good to have a
noise of some sort coming from the point as well but I can't think of how to
do that without creating something swords will hang up on.

I have holes in some of my hoods over my ears so I can hear. In a mask those
ears are still covered by metal mesh which lets in sound. So the blind guy
will need his equipment adapted for his needs, something he is use to by
now.

I would also suggest the use of a spotter, basically someone to give him
info any sighted person could see.

He should feel the sword frequently until he has memorized it's length,
shape and details. He needs to do point control work against a stationary
object (with a bell someone is ringing or some other way of making noise) so
he can learn to hit his target and what his range is.

Finally, I would want to get him on the field asap to try these things and
see what will work. No doubt adjustments will have to be made.

Drills don't do much to teach until one has a frame of reference on which to
hang that learning. Most of us get at least some of that by watching others
fight before we ever pick up a sword ourselves; he does not have that. Even
with a sighted person my goal is to get them on the field in a sparing match
as soon as they do so safely and have a chance to hit the other person (and
the other person should LET them hit). After that we can go back to drills
and such but with the new frame of reference they learn much quicker and
have a deeper understanding of what they are doing and why. Also, they need
to have a taste of the fun of fighting, even if they do it badly. I think
most of the newbies and all of the youth I work with would walk away after 3
weeks of nothing but drills.

Christian Doré