[Ansteorra-marshals] Rapier marshallate question for Red Tape

Jay Rudin rudin at peoplepc.com
Wed Jul 13 10:55:27 PDT 2011

Dore wrote:

>Obviously this will take some experimenting but I don't think blindfolding
>the other guy belling them both is the right answer.

I never considered it. I was going to fight a sighted person while I was blindfolded so that I'm not asking the minor to do something nobody's ever done before. It was an experiment that proved the bell I had was inadequate.

> The blind guy has experience moving without sight but the
> other guy does not. I agree with Fiacha, bell the opponent.

Yes, of course.

Perhaps a set of bells on elastic bands (and
>probably some other attachment methods too) can be made for the blind guy to
>carry with him so when he fights he can ask his opponent to put them on. It
>will become part of his kit. I would include different bells for each hand,
>bells for the feet, waist, head, and sword hilt. It would be good to have a
>noise of some sort coming from the point as well but I can't think of how to
>do that without creating something swords will hang up on.

The bell I experimented with was hanging from the tip. Even at that distance, I can't hear it at all. I need louder bells. Where does one get them?

>I have holes in some of my hoods over my ears so I can hear. In a mask those
>ears are still covered by metal mesh which lets in sound. So the blind guy
>will need his equipment adapted for his needs, something he is use to by
>now.

Good idea. I'm not ready to make her a special hood at this point, but it may become necessary.

>I would also suggest the use of a spotter, basically someone to give him
>info any sighted person could see.

Also an excellent thought I hadn't considered. It might be distracting, but she can tell us that.

>He should feel the sword frequently until he has memorized it's length,
>shape and details. He needs to do point control work against a stationary
>object (with a bell someone is ringing or some other way of making noise) so
>he can learn to hit his target and what his range is.

Actually, the one extremely useful skill she has is knowing exactly where the end of her white stick is. She is quite comfortable reaching out with the sword.

>Finally, I would want to get him on the field asap to try these things a
>see what will work. No doubt adjustments will have to be made.

I'd like to, but I won't put her out on the field until there are two youth marshals present.

> I think most of the newbies and all of the youth I work with would
> walk away after 3 weeks of nothing but drills.

She is achingly, unctuously grateful for the footwork drills. I thought that the paperwork requirements would stop her, but she *really* wants to do this.

I'd like to get her in armor, but I can't until I have a bell system or something. That's why I brought this up.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin