[Ansteorra-marshals] Rawhide swords

rmorgan at satx.rr.com rmorgan at satx.rr.com
Thu Mar 3 18:40:03 PST 2016

Yep Back in the day...  As far back as I can remember it has been legal basically it is leather and leather has always been legal yes I have been hit by rawhide wrapped swords and never noticed a bit of difference. They felt much better the Ricardo's totally legal scimitar which was 3 inch rattan planed to a 1 inch profile and did not flex at all. To me it is a complete non issue. What are you worried about dents in your armor. Ricardo pummeled my bare thigh with that monster. I learned to not let him hit my leg. By the way this is not new, the reason it stopped being used is that rawhide got quite expensive for a while and rattan got easier and cheaper to obtain. It wasn't worth the effort anymore. By the way I was planning to make a rawhide sleeve for my next sword. Maybe it will last a bit longer pounding the pell for newbies. Swords that you do not want to get hit with, 4 pounders, PVC filled with fiberglass rods, PVC with sliding weights, and swords injected with acrylic, varnish, or epoxy. They all hurt!!!

With Brotherly Love
Richard