[Ansteorra-MiddleEastern] Guedra / Guilds, etc.

Reihla at aol.com Reihla at aol.com
Fri Aug 6 07:44:28 PDT 2004

Hi!  Kat here (Katrionna, from Wiesenfeuer, that is).  What an awesome link that was!  Thanks for sharing it. :) I guess I need to track down a cauldron and an animal skin to learn the drum rhythm since they specify it isn't played on the doumbek.

I'm pretty neutral on the idea of an official middle eastern Guild.  The pitfalls are many and have already been listed, but I can see quite a few positives to the idea as well.  I guess I'd be supportive of such a thing, should it happen, however...mostly, I'd just like to see more emphasis placed on actual, historical middle eastern culture.

I've noticed within the realm of my own interests (mainly middle eastern music) there is a definite need for historical research and teaching.  I've taught many a doumbek class myself, but I stick to basic middle eastern rhythms because that is the limit of what I *know* will pass for period.  Not to mention that those are the rhythms the dancers in my area tend to request for competitions.  As a musician, I would LOVE the chance to learn from more experienced and knowledgeable drummers about authentic period rhythms and advanced techniques.  Ansteorra is blessed to have many enthusiastic drummers (some of whom are very skilled), but very few who have put time and effort into researching their craft for historical accuracy.

As someone who is not a dancer (leastways, not in public, anyway) I can only say that my impression is that the ME dance community is in much the same situation and could benefit from the same kind of research and teaching.

I don't see an official bureaucratic structure as absolutely essential to seeing this community grow towards historical accuracy, but I can see where it might help to keep our activities more historically focused and more consistent kingdom-wide.  Perhaps if we go into it knowing the problems that have killed other kingdom guilds we could avoid the same pitfalls.

Wiesenfeuer