[Ansteorra-MiddleEastern] lead in Afghani jewelry

Sandra Jakl sjakl at pegasus-international.com
Mon Dec 20 07:09:58 PST 2004

Forwarded from SCA-MidEastMusicCulture at yahoogroups.com

Message: 1
   Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 13:40:42 -0000
   From: "Munlik" <
Subject: lead us to the lead

There was story on NPR yesterday about a kid eating and getting lead
poisoning from a piece of cheap costume jewelry. The piece was
believed to have been made offshore. (US jewlery standards prohibit
lead).
Big Question: Do our imported Afghani nock-offs have lead in them?

Message: 4
   Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 10:41:16 -0500
   From: McKinney/Taylor Subject: Re: lead us to the lead

All the cloth arm bands/bracelets that have grey metal beads and shells
are
full of lead. Any bead that is grey, not silver, is lead. You can go to
WalMart and get the lead test (even the water one works, just wet the
bead
and rub it against). You will see that they respond with the highest
lead
indicator. I got rid of all of mine when I found out. Any solder that
is
grey will also be lead so look at the solder points on your coins and
necklaces that touch your skin.

tshaya