[Ansteorra-MiddleEastern] What to wear? Anyone have any ME garb pictures?

AlKudsi at aol.com AlKudsi at aol.com
Wed Feb 16 22:19:43 PST 2005

Best source I know of is Jennifer Scarce's book, Women's Costume of the Near
and Middle East, which has some photos of extant clothing (both men and
women's).  As she is a curator of the Royal Museum of Scotland, with a specialty in
Near and Middle Eastern culture, I rank her research as pretty good.  I will
admit most of her stuff is post period, but then, I've made an unofficial study
and found that several 9th century Egyptian boy's tunics (pages 118 and 120)
are almost identical to the early 20th century folk dresses from the Holy
Lands.  Best of all, she has quotes from period letters and travelogues that
describe the costumes, which is helpful, too.  I've done the 9th century tunic with
minor modifications to the shapes of the arms to match the illustrations and
minatures for several years, and find it a comfortable, relatively easy
costume to make.  I think it is pretty good, but then, my stuff is earlier period
(12th century) and not Turkish, which is where most of the ME personas I've seen
have drawn their inspiration from most.

HL Saqra al-Kudsi