[Ansteorra-missile] Re: [SCA-MissileCombat] Digest Number 1336

meggiddo at netzero.net meggiddo at netzero.net
Wed Jul 30 09:14:46 PDT 2003

I am all for safety for both for those on the field and those who watch
from the sidelines.

Why is there discussion concerning buffer zeros?  Rather, increasing the
size of buffer zones?  This incident that happen occurred on the field
and not near the sidelines.  Nor was anyone on the sidelines affected,
meaning hit or had a near miss there.

This is a respond to a problem that did not occur with the present
safety regulations for safety of the sidelines, in other words, if it is
not broke, then it does not need to be fix!

The current safety rules in effect for missile combat on a battlefield
have been working and were working even for this battle that started
this discussion.

People, you can add rules, laws, guidelines, ect., but if people make
the decision to ignored them, then what good are they?

To prevent future incidents, there is one area, in fact the only area,
and that is Education.  Afterall, are we not an organization that is
interested in education?  The answer should be "Yes", then this is the
area that all of us - both combat archers, heavy fighters, marshals, and
everyone else who enjoys the battlefield, to provide for each other
safety.  Which does not mean that there should be a whole influx of
addition rules, laws, guidelines, etc.

Education is the best and only method to prevent incidents of this
nature.  A constant reminder -  NOT of this incident - but of "BEING
SAFE" on the battlefield.

Remember, anyone can call a "Hold" and I would have no problem waiting
for individuals to walk off the field if they are in danger!  In fact, I
am sure everyone else feels the same way.

Being safe is a matter of being proactive, being aware of what is
happening around you.  Stepping up and being willing to voice or call
out that there is a safety issue or even a possibility of a safety
issue.  This is the "True" method of preventing such incidents in the
future.

Michael Fray
Unit Combat Archer for the Condottieri