[Ansteorra-missile] Combat Scenarios

meggiddo at netzero.net meggiddo at netzero.net
Sat Oct 11 08:53:51 PDT 2003

Greetings,

It has been quiet here and after attending and being on two battlefields
- Gothic Wars and Battle of 3 Kings IX which hosts 3 Queens. I have a
couple of scenarios regarding combat archery and heavy fighters, one
scenario is with combat archer opposing a heavy fighter, who is charging
the archer, with no one between these two and the second is where the
combat archer is supporting a group of heavy fighters.

There is no Death from Behind (DFB) in this kingdom.  Not going into
this subject in this message.  So, please do not take us there.

The first scenario is fairly standard in the beginning:

A fighter is charging a archer on an open field.  The fighter has not
reach the that invisible plane of glass that marked the boundary for the
archer not to shoot at him.  In other words the fighter is still further
away than the minimum distance and thus a valid and active target.

The fighter decided to retreat away from the archer - meaning the
fighter turned his back on the archer at the last minute.  There could
several reasons for this decision by the fighter, does not matter, the
fighter has turned his back on the archer.

The rules of engagement would apply on the battlefield for both the
fighter and the archer.

Example, this same fighter comes charging through the opposing shield
wall and made the decision to ignored the closest opposing fighter(s)
and intends to engage the second or third rank of the opposing force.
Thus this fighter runs or attempts to run by the first rank of fighters
that oppose him/her.  The fighters are still in engage, though the
fighter has pull even or has taken even a step behind the first rank of
fighters.  One of the fighters in the first rank, can still strike this
fighter in the back and "kill" this fighter. Remember this is a
battlefield scenario which has different rules than that on a tourney
field - please keep this in mind.

Back to the scenario of the fighter turning his/her back on the archer.
The question is this:  "Can the archer still shoot the fighter, even if
it means in the back?"

I understand that there is no DFB here and not seeking to bring it in.
That decision is and needs to be left up to the majority of fighters -
meaning heavy fighters who fight with sword and board.

I also understand the consequence of making such a shot, both on and off
the field.

The first issue is whether it is valid or not.

The second issue is it chivalry?

Although, both first and second issues are tightly entwined and where
one leaves off and the other takes up...  A good many will state that it
is NOT and there should be no question concerning this scenario -
meaning the shot should not be taken.

The question of it being chivalry is in itself, no question on the
surface, it is NOT chivalry in nature and the archer should respect this
code of conduct on the battlefield.  Yet, there are several concerns
here, it is a SCA battlefield and the rules of engagement are different
than that of the tourney field. Look back or rather re-read the example
that I provide concerning the fighter who charged through the shield
wall, etc...

Taking all of this into consideration, there is another issue and this
one concerns the fighter who is retreating.  If the shot is taken,
following the above example already sited, should that fighter take the
shot?

This question now becomes a matter of honor not for the archer, but for
the fighter who was retreating away from the archer.  The fighter knew
that the archer was there, he/her even made the effort to charge said
archer.

I have not had to deal with this type of scenario, although it has been
explain several times over the last couple of years to me by various
individuals who have been fighting for lot longer than I have.

To me, the shot is valid on a battlefield - whether I would take it or
not is another matter.  One thing, is that it is in the back of the
fighter, even though we were both in engaged with each other at
distance.  Thus, it would not be honorable to do so.  The other issues
about whether that fighter should take the shot becomes minor.  It would
be my honor that is involved for taking the shot.  Then there is
question of that fighter's honor as well.

The second scenario is the following:

Archer supporting a shield wall unit against another unit.  Archer is in
the second or third or even fourth rank and is shooting between the
fighters in front of him/her.

The archer shoots an arrow and one of the fighters of the unit that
he/she is supporting moves in to the path and is struck from behind - or
rather it is friendly fire from behind.  Once, again there is no DFB
here.

The fighter being struck from behind - "Is he/she dead, from friendly
fire?"

Give this some thought - would like to know what the others on this list
have to think about the above two scenarios.

Michael Fray
Unit Combat Artillery for the Condottieri