[Ansteorra-missile] Joint War Practice with Combat Archery - Post review - 11/07/2004

Mike meggiddo at netzero.net
Mon Nov 8 10:38:31 PST 2004

Heilsa,

I would ask that someone please forward this to the Elfsea and Loch
Ruadh lists. Thank you in advance.

This past Sunday in Mary Heads Park (MHC), as the subject states: "Joint
War Practice" where fighters and their supporters from both the baronies
of Elfsea and Steppes came together.

First  - Thank You to HRM Drake, Sir Mahdi, Baron Armand, Sir Duke
Miguel, Sir Earl Duncan, Sir Romanius,  Centurion Stella, Centurion
Tomas, Centurion Morgan, Baron Robyn, Daire, Hrafn and all the fighters,
regardless which type of fighting you partake of in the park today. More
importantly to those people who came out to support this practice,
whether you had someone fighting or just wanted to support all the
fighters of both baronies.

A Thank You to the marshals: HRM Drake and Centurion Morgan for the
heavy fighting and Donnel for the youth portion. Centurion Stella and
myself handle the combat archery.

First, due to the large numbers that attended, I will offer my
apologizes in advance, for I know that I will have miss a few of these
good gentles. In this regard, if I have missed individual(s) - Then
please, post updates to whatever list this message appear on.

Ok, now that the disclaimer has been stated (see above) let the memory
cells go to work.
(Hint - insert smile here)

A surprise for one and all for there was NOT just heavy fighting with
combat archery, add in a rapier practice, plus youth fighting.

In attendance was the following from my memory - "see no net" (i.e., no
notes), plus what I recall each was fighting with at the time:

HRM Drake  - marshaled this war practice. Prior to the war practice, HRM
Drake and Sir Duncan fought a number of one-on-one bouts.

Sir Duke Miguel Sebastian de Oporto - fighting with glaive, plus
fighting rapier
Sir Baron Qadi 'Abd al-Mahdi Jamal ibn Hakim - Baron of Steppes  -
fighting with sword and round
Sir Romanius Vesperianus - fighting during part of the practice with
sword and shield, then switching to spear.
Sir Duncan of Clan Ross with his daughter - Sir Duncan fighting with
sword and shield
Baron Armand Dragonetti - Elfsea baron - fighting with spear
Baron Robyn (sp?) of Gilwell fighting with sword and shield

Centurion Stella Silvana - did warm-up one-on-one fights, then switched
to recurve and combat arrows.
Centurion Morgan Buchanan and his lady Ciannait Chaimbuel - Morgan who
marshaled and a squire of Sir Duncan.
Centurion Tomas Niallagain and his lady HL Rixende de Rouen (Seneschal
of Elfsea) - Tomas is a squire of Sir Duncan. Tomas fighting with sword
and shield. Lady Rixende fighting rapier.

Hrafn Olafsson - Steppes Knight Marshal - fighting with sword and shield
Dare da Haya - Elfsea Knight Marshal - fighting with spear

CinaedOHosey and his children - Tori, Jon, and Nikko. CinaedOHosey
fighting with sword and shield.
Elizabeta di Valore della Rosa
Roc the Bold and and his Lady Icia - Roc is man at arms to Sir Mahdi.
Roc fighting with sword and shield
Duncan and his lady Kitty. Duncan fighting with sword and shield.
Lady Allessandra di Giovanni - Steppes Equestrian Marshall being
escorted by a gentle that I did not catch his name.
Eric and his lady Stephanie with their three children and a young man -
Joey (believe name is right). Eric fighting with sword and shield.
Chiara Francecsa Arianna d'Onofrio
Matt - did not recall seeing his lady Nicole at the park. Matt fighting
with sword and round.
Clayton and his lady Brandy. Clayton fighting with sword and shield

Lord Mordock von Rugen and his lady Cathy (is it Bren?). Dux fighting
with spear.
Albecht auf der Leirenstien - fighting with sword and shield

Melissa - fighting with sword and shield.
Neil - not sure if he was fighting rapier.

Clint from Loch Ruadh - fighting with sword and shield.
Alric from Loch Ruadh - fighting with sword and shield.
Cathal from Loch Ruadh - fighting with sword and shield.

Terence from Loch Ruah who express an interest in combat archery -
suggested that he gets in contact with Fearghus since he is over on the
south side of Ft Worth for suppliers of fiberglass rod and UHMW rod. I
made the offer to show him how to make golf tube APD's to attach to
fiberglass shafts, this would allow him to make some combat arrows. Both
Centurion Stella and myself worked with Terence and attempted to answer
all his questions. Plus, I set up my usual target to allow Terence an
opportunity to get a feel for shooting combat arrows vs., target arrows.
Centurion Stella also took a turn at shooting this target.

Louie - was fighting with glaive
Josh fighting with sword and shield
Mike and his son Mikey - Mike fighting with sword and buckler in this
practice.
Donnel Shaw - youth marshal
Robert fighting with fighting sword and shield
Robert FritzMorgan

I know that there was 5 more individuals on the side lines and can not
remember who they are. Once again my apologizes.

and myself - Michael Fray fighting as a combat archer with recurve.

People in armor:
HRM Drake, Sir Mahdi, Baron Armand, Sir Duke Miguel, Sir Earl Duncan,
Sir Romanius, Baron Robyn, Centurion Stella, Centurion Tomas, Hrafn,
Daire, Hosey, Clayton, Roc, Duncan, Matt, Alric, Cathal, Robert, Clint,
Mike, Louie, Mordock, Albecht, Melissa, Eric, Josh, and myself.  Plus
there was 3 more individuals whose names I can not remember.

Total of 31 fighters.

15 fighters to a side for this practice for this joint war practices.
Including the two combat archers - Centurion Stella and Lord Michael Fray.

Plus two youths fighting.

Sir Duke Miguel, HL Rixende, and Neil and I believe three others were
practice with rapiers (hope this is the correct term). 6 "light" fighters.

Thus, the mundanes that attended Mary Heads Carter Park (MHC) in
Carrollton this past Sunday was given a treat of 4 separate displays of
SCA combat.

There was a number of one-on-one fights as a warm-up to the main war
practice. HRM Drake set-up the scenarios with Baron Robyn commanding one
side and Centurion Tomas commanding the other side. Each commander took
turns selecting from the available fighters present.

There ware 8 different scenarios  with a brief debrief following each
scenario by HRM Drake, plus comments and/or suggestions from anyone who
fought might wish to add to the fighting knowledge.

Scenarios:
- 3 open field battles

- 2 gate battles with the following additions the defenders got one
resurrection while the  attackers got unlimited. In this scenario the
attackers were going to win at the end. The only issue was how long it
would take to defeat those inside the gate. Each side got to defend and
attack.

There was one attempt by the attackers charge and... at this point think
back to playing football...Hosey made the play that any good nose-guard
would do, he will horizontal in front of the charging line, and the
front ranks went to their knees and other portions of their bodies with
Hosey on the bottom.

- 3 ravine like battles, there is a raised dirt mound in the park which
gives a nice slope to fight on, with no one allowed to be on flat ground.

Total heavy fighters (includes 2 combat archers): 31
Rapier fighters: 6
Total children: 10
Total in attendance: 56

Next month for the Joint War Practices for the baronies of Elfsea and
Steppes: Veterans Park in Elfsea (Arlington) on December 5th, 2004.
there will be no combat archery at this practice.

Next week is 3 Kings, November 12th through 14th
Following week is Autumn Melees, November 18th through the 21st.

Then Thanksgiving weekend. I know that there will be some people who
will be in the MHC on Sunday the 28th at 2 PM for regular fighter
practice. In other words, it is time to work off some of that turkey and
dressing.

Michael Fray