[Ansteorra-missile] Steppes Fighter Practice - 7-24-2005

Mike meggiddo at netzero.net
Tue Jul 26 16:40:42 PDT 2005

Heilsa,

Joint War Practice:
The next Joint War practice will be held in our sister barony - Elfsea.
Date: August 7th
Location: Veterans Park in Arlington.
Start time: 2 PM

See Elfsea website for directions.
http://www.elfsea.net/Events/fighter_practices.htm

Lady Ana, the Elfsea hospitaler, will be giving a class on running a
list at this practice.
Start time:  4 PM for "classroom" instruction.

I believe that the Steppes loaner armor will be available at this War
practice. So if you have some armor, but not all or none there will be
armor and some weapons available as well. Since, I have not heard about
combat archery at this War Practice, will have my personal armor for
others to use this Sunday (August 7th), so that as many people as
possible who wish to fight will be able to take the field.

Weapons and/or shields, that I am aware of:
3 Spears - 2 fiberglass and 1 Rattan
2 swords
2 bucklers
1 War shield

I believe that Centurion Morgan and/or Lord CinaedOHosey still has some
basket cups for weapons available. Centurion Morgan the last time I
heard still has sticks of rattan available to be made into swords.
Contact them for available and price.

Weather for this past Sunday was bright with one huge cloud that sailed
over the park early in the afternoon, which brought shade and cooling
breeze as if it would rain upon us, - it was a tease - the sun came back
and shone down upon one and all. The temperature in the high 90's and
there was a bit more humidity that most would like, yet the breeze from
the South was refreshing.

Remember Gothic Wars are coming and just like the park , we will fight
under the sun as it shines down upon one and all. Come out and get some
practice in and be ready for War.

Schedule:
Regular schedule fighter practice - every Sunday starting at 2 PM.
Mary Heads Carter Park in Carrollton.

Gothic War:
Labor Day Weekend - September 2nd through 5th
Sweetwater, Texas - it is the old site
Heavy fighting melees on Saturday, with tournaments on Sunday.
Gothic War is also host to the Amazon household 25th anniversary
celebration, the annual Crane Party.
Haflas are scheduled for Saturday and Sunday night
Gothic webpage <http://adlersruhe.ansteorra.org/Gothic.html>

Once, again people paced themselves, brought out water and gatorade,
went out and fought, came back off the field and cooled down and
replenished their fluids with water and/or gatorade, etc.

A reminder - please bring at least 1 gallon or more of water and
gatorade. I recommend 2 gallons of fluids and snacks to replenish your
energy levels. There are two water fountains in the park, plus there are
several stores close by that carry these items and more.

A pop-shade pavilion was provided by the tree.

 A wide range of subjects were under discussion from heavy fighting to
armor to combat archery to garb to camping, etc... it is not just about
the fighting on the side lines.

At the end of practice, those who could, went and enjoyed dinner
together. Everyone is welcome to join in this after practice dinner.
Currently, the plans are to continue to have this dinner, including
after the Joint War Practice on the August 7th at Elfsea.

People in armor:  10
Children:  4
Total in attendance: 18

Weapons used this day:
Sword
Great Sword

Shields used this day:
Heater
Round
Buckler
Rectangle Shield

Combat Archery:
  1 Recurve
  Combat arrows:
    49 Combat Arrows for Condottieri

Armor available at practice:
Barony has approximately 3 1/2 sets of loaner armor.
Additional armor is available from individuals' personal armor.

Training provided for the following weapons styles:

Sword and Shield
Sword and Buckler
Great Sword
Combat Archery - defending against

The more experienced fighters, regardless of weapon style, provided
training in various fighting disciplines of the SCA. The key areas of
training that occurred this day involved one-on-one style for tournament
level, which also covers the SCA battlefield in a open field environment
after the initial contact.

The normal group that provides training from the basic level to
Man-at-Arms and/or Centurion level was available - Centurion Morgan,
Lord CinaedOHosey, Lord Richard, and Lord Hrafn. An additional bonus
this Sunday was that both Sir Mahdi and Sir Duncan was presented and
were training their squires, they were also made themselves available
for one-on-one fighting and answered questions/concerns from their vast
wisdom and experience to one and all that requested their advice.  A
second Centurion and Squire, Centurion Llywelyn, was available for
additional training and one-on-one fighting.

Several individuals stopped by during practice to asked about the SCA
and the fighting. Information provided along with web sites. We all hope
that we see each and everyone of you come back out. It makes no
difference whether you fight or not. Come out and learn about the SCA
and have fun.

A true delight was observing Sir Mahdi vs Sir Duncan in several fights.
In addition, the fights between the Centurion Morgan vs Centurion
Llywelyn were insightful as well. More about both and the weapons and
shields later in this message.

There were two additional heavy authorizations, with one heavy marshal
(I believe this is correct) occurred this day by Centurion Morgan -
Central Regional Knight Marshal.

The combat archery defensive training was requested by HL Chiara
Francecsa Arianna d'Onofrio and Lord Richard of Durnsford.  More of this
at end of message.

I, Lord Michael Kettering, requested a heavy calibration by Centurion
Morgan, since it had been awhile since l had been struck as a heavy
contact archer. I felt the need for this calibration to ensure that I
continue to know what is a "light" vs "good" strike to both the helm and
the body. Thank You - Centurion Morgan for your time and continuing to
ensure that I am safe on the battlefield.

In attendance this day:
Sir Baron Qadi 'Abd al-Mahdi Jamal ibn Hakim - Baron of Steppes,
Centurion Llywelyn Gruffydd (Squire to Sir Mahdi)

Clan Ross:
Sir Earl Duncan Arthur Ross
    and
        daughter - Tressa
Centurion Morgan Buchanan (Squire to Sir Earl Duncan)  - Central Region
Knight Marshal
     and his lady, Lady Ciannait Chaimbuel
Lord Richard of Durnsford (Squire to Sir Earl Duncan)
    and his lady, HL Mary Elisabeth
Lord Hrafn Olafsson (Squire to Sir Earl Duncan) - Steppes Knight Marshal
     and his lady,
        Lady Elizabeta di Valore della Rosa (Apprentice to Duchess Larissa)

Condottieri:
Lord CinaedOHosey and children
   daugther - Tori
   and sons - Jon and Nikko
Lord Michael Kettering

HL Chiara Francecsa Arianna d'Onofrio, is captain of the Steppes
Baronial Guard and Apprentice to Master Fritz

Lady Honour du Bois

Till

Regina - second time back and spent part of the time catching up on her
knitting.
Jeremy - first time to join us in the park, not the first time in armor.
Good to see both of you come out, hope that both of you had fun and that
we will be seeing you again.

Individual fights witness this day:

Sir Mahdi with heater and sword vs Lord Richard with heater and sword
Centurion Morgan with heater and sword vs Centurion Llywelyn with heater
and sword
Centurion Morgan with heater and sword vs Lord Hrafn with heater and sword
Centurion Llywelyn with heater and sword vs Lord Hrafn with heater and sword
Sir Mahdi with heater and sword vs Lord Hrafn with heater and sword
Jeremy with rectangle and sword vs Lord Hrafn with heater and sword
Till with heater and sword vs Centurion Morgan with heater and sword
Lord Richard with heater and sword vs Centurion Llywelyn with heater and
sword
Lord Hrafn with heater and sword vs Lord Richard with heater and sword
Centurion Llywelyn with great sword vs Till with great sword
Sir Duncan with buckler and sword vs Sir Mahdi with buckler and sword
Sir Duncan with heater and sword vs Lord Hrafn with heater and sword
Jeremy with heater and sword vs Centurion Morgan with heater and sword
Lady Honour with buckler and sword vs Lord CinaedOHosey with buckler and
sword
Sir Mahdi with heater and sword vs Centurion Morgan with heater and sword
Till with heater and sword vs Jeremy with rectangle and sword
Lord Hrafn with heater and sword vs Till with heater and sword
Jeremy with rectangle and sword vs Till with heater and sword
Sir Duncan with heater and sword vs Jeremy with rectangle and sword
Sir Duncan with heater and sword vs Lord Hrafn with heater and sword
Jeremy with rectangle and sword vs Sir Duncan with heater and sword
Jeremy with rectangle and sword vs Centurion Llywelyn with heater and sword

Combat Archery - defending against:
HL Chiara armed with a single sword to blocked or knock down incoming
arrows. Some might wonder why not with a sword and a shield - this would
be pointless to do so, since a one-on-one encounter between a heavy
fighter with a shield and sword directly facing a combat archer and
fully aware of the archer, the result - 99% of the time the archer will
not land a arrow upon the fighter. The object in this scenario is to be
able to recognize the incoming threat and learn how to deal with it, if
one can so master such training with a single sword, then whether that
individual carries a spear or polearm or floretine or a shield and a
sword on a SCA battlefield, then that individual is better prepare to
meet and defend against combat archery.

Lord Richard  joined in half way through this combat archery defensive
session with a sword and a heater, he wished to increase his awareness
of how to defend against either combat arrows and/or spears on his sword
side. The difference is that Lord Richard faced away from the Combat
Archer (Lord Michael) at a 45 degree angle, presenting his sword side to
the incoming arrow fire while attempting to block with either the sword
or the shield by either catching a glimpse of the arrow or the sound of
the release of the arrow from the bow.

vs

The Combat Archer - Lord Michael Kettering
Shooting a 30 lb., recurve and using 49 combat arrows.
Arrows - fiberglass shaft with both UHMW and Classical Baldar Blunts
   APD - Golf Tubes.
Distance: 17 feet.

YIS,
 Lord Michael Kettering