[Ansteorra-missile] Joint War Practice - 5-01-2005

Mike meggiddo at netzero.net
Mon May 2 19:02:42 PDT 2005

Joint War practice of Steppes and Elfsea occurred this past Sunday at
Steppes regular fighter practice. This is the short version.

The plans are to have one war practice a month, usually the 1st Sunday
of the Month. The locations will be between Steppes and Elfsea - the
next month at this time will be at Elfsea's normal fighter practice
location - Veterans Park in Arlington.  My information at this time,
possible combat archery there as well, still in the planning stage
though. More information will be forth coming as we get closer to June.

The weather was bright and sunny with a varying breeze, the temperature
was in the mid to the upper 70's. So it did make for a warm day,
especially if you were in armor and fighting.

Our summer will be upon us before we know it. To get the most out of
fighter/war practices, need to prepare yourselves by drinking water,
more that than you normally do. I start on Thursday, so that my body is
well hydrated prior to practice on Sunday. This also works for events.

Suggestion - bring water and/or snacks for you to enjoy the park and the
fighting. The warmer it gets, then the more water you will need. By June
through the rest of the summer, would suggest 2 gallons of water, plus
Gatorade and snacks - pickles, oranges, etc... Sun Screen is always helpful.

A shade pavilion was set up for the general use, and will be set-up
through the summer. If anyone else wish to bring out their pavilion,
please do so. Thank you.

Rapier fights:
  HL Robin vs Lady Illadore faced off with rapiers.
  HL Robin provided additional instruction to those "moderns" who wish
to try rapier.
Thank HL Robin for taking the time to answer their questions and perform
a small demo.

Individual fights as a warm up prior to the War practice took place. I
recorded what I could and do know that I missed a number of individual
bouts at the end of War practice.  Plus some individuals who arrived
late and did not have an opportunity to greet them.

The War practice scenarios composed of 3 different types, all took place
inside a 50 ft long by 25 ft wide rectangle set-up through the used of
rope laid out on the field. Both heavy fighters and the 3 combat archers
fought within the area. The advantages would be able to work on specific
tactics as a unit, rather than a open field scenario in which the
fighting would break down into individual fights.

The archers were also restricted in a similar way. They could step
across the 25 ft line at each end of this rectangle but could NOT
stepped across the side boundary ropes on either side. It provided one
of the tightest fire control zones for training of combat archers. In
addition, the fighters got training in blocking and/or knocking down
combat arrows to protect the ranks behind the shield war. The 3 combat
archers got training in firing at a shield wall who were doing their
most in blocking their combat arrows before reaching their intended target.

Marshals this for day:
Lord Hrafn Olafsson (squire to Sir Duncan) - Steppes Knight Marshal
Centurion Tomas Niallagain (squire to Sir Duncan)

There were 3 types of scenarios composed of this:

1. Last Man standing - ~6 rounds
2. Each side had 2 minutes to defend against the opposing side,
    plus to the last man standing. ~ 6 rounds

West side of park:
Sir Earl Duncan - leader - heater and sword
  HL Robin - heater and sword
  Centurion Morgan - heater and sword
  Lord Richard  - round shield and sword
  Lord Geoffrey - heater and sword
  Lord CinaedOHosey - war shield and sword
  Lincoln - heater and sword
  Eric - heater and sword
  Kaneki no Ryuto Akimitsu - No-dachi
  Murdoch MacDuncan (Sir Duncan's son - 17 yr. old) spear

 Archers:
    HL William Blackdragon - crossbow (520 in/lbs)
    Lord Greylond Aston - 22 Lb., recurve

East side of park (facing the sun):
  Sir Count Gunthar - heater and sword
   Lord Roc - heater and sword
   Matthew - round and sword
   Lord Mordock - spear
   Bren - spear
   Milo - kite and sword
  Thomas - kite and sword
  Zach - kite and sword

  Archer:
    Lord Michael Fray - 30 lb., recurve

3. Sides were re-divided up for shield and spears and pole arms
   vs  Shields and archers - last man standing.  ~6 rounds

 East side of park (facing the sun):
  HL Robin - heater and sword
  Fighter in "plate" (Name of unknown at this time) - sword and short spear
  Lord Geoffrey - spear
  Lincoln - heater and sword
  Matthew - round and sword
  Eric - heater and sword
  Kaneki no Ryuto Akimitsu - No-dachi
  Murdoch MacDuncan (Sir Duncan's son) - spear

West side of park:
  Lord CinaedOHosey - war shield and sword
  Centurion Morgan - heater and sword
  Lord Richard  - round shield and sword

Archers:
    HL William Blackdragon - crossbow (520 in/lbs.)
    Lord Greylond Aston - 22 lb., recurve
    Lord Michael Fray - 30 lb., recurve

At the end of the war practice, the heavy fighters broke off for
one-on-one fighting and/or team up in twos to face off against each
other. New fighters continue their training. The Steppes loaner armor
got a work out, have almost 3 sets and there (by my count) - were 8 new
fighters, plus at least 2 individuals who are working on their armor
now. So, people took turns with the armor.

There were two 17 yr. olds in armor and fighting. One is Murdoch
MacDuncan (Sir Duncan's son), who was fighting both single one-on-one
and in the war practice scenarios. While the 2nd 17 yr. old is Zach the
son of Lincoln and Sandy, this was his 1st time armor and started off
with basic fighting training of how to swing a sword and hold a shield.
Then later did some one-on-one. Both sets of parents were present.

The family of Lincoln and Sandy with their two sons, Jeremy and Zach,
became involved this day in the following: Father and two sons in heavy
fighting, while Mom was learning about combat archery - shooting at both
a stationary target and then a live fighter, Lord Geoffrey. See next
paragraph for further information on this activity.

4 people asked if they could received some combat archery training using
a stationary target at 20 feet. And Lord Geoffrey volunteered to be a
live target with a single sword. Which he used to improve his ability in
blocking arrows. 3 of the 4 was their 2nd time to attend the Steppes
fighter practice: Sandy, Melanie, Billy, and the 4th was Hrafn, the
Steppes Knight Marshal. Thank You, Lord Geoffrey.

I know that I missed approximately 6 individuals while I was on the
field. This included at least 3 new fighters.

People in armor:  29
Children:  8
Total in attendance: 64

Number of Singles fights prior to War practice: 22
Weapons used this day:
Sword
Great Sword
Short Spear