[Ansteorra-missile] The Need For Authorizing Marshals

Mike meggiddo at netzero.net
Thu Oct 20 19:01:48 PDT 2005

I would like to know just what and how -

"....active observations during local fighter practices to complete."

- how this will help determine if someone should be authorized as a
combat archer. Seeing as you have only been to the local fighter
practice for your Barony (Steppes) 4 times in the last 4 1/2 years. And
out of that number (4), you only got into armor twice - Both times this
year - once in May and the second time in July for a Joint War Practice
with Elfsea. (Note- these Join War practices have held since 2001,
usually starting in October every year.)

I would think that actually placing new combat archers onto the field in
control scenarios in which they could learn the following -
support a shield wall,
oppose a shield wall,
support another combat archer,
unit tactics,
fire-control zones,
and etc...

- being on a field, in full armor, and actually shooting against live
opponents would yield far more results than just sitting on sidelines
and talking about doing it. In addition, the heavy fighters would made
aware that the individual(s) are new and learning how to become combat
archers.  This would provide additional feedback and should lead to a
better rapport between the two different styles of SCA combat.

Afterall, the goal is to ensure that everyone being authorized as a
combat archer is exposure as much as possible prior to going to a Event
that has War scenarios.  If the only time a new combat archer gets
exposed to the actually conditions is on the an actually SCA battlefield
and lose it...

It is rare that where a regular fighter practice takes place that there
is room to also include and conduct combat archery. The current location
for the Steppes Fighter practice does ALLOW for a complete training
ground where people have the opportunity to learn how to learn to be a
combat archer.

The location is there, people are there and some are interest, all that
it lacks is the attendance of an Authorizing Missile Marshal(s).

Michael Kettering