[Ansteorra-missile] Need Authorizing Marshals

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Fri Sep 9 07:31:16 PDT 2005

agnarr (agnarr at cox.net) said something that sounded like:
> But yes I am kinda irritatied in the matter of no one
> able to do authorizations here in the west so to Master Pug the Kingdom
> Archery Marshal or anyone else that reads my replies -  Do not take this
> message as an attack on them personally or on thier office.

I do not and I was probably unclear in what I meant. Robin was asking
specificly about Gothic and Combat Archers. I fully admit that you and
the Regional Seneschal talked to me about Marshals and even the Regional
position.

As for the Regional position, we had some bad starts of communication and
I admit fully that I don't know the individual from Joe Blow SCAer but
I've laid out clear guidelines for the person in the Western region who
has approached me about this and to my knowledge there has been zero
progress becuase I've had no communication from them or and minimal from
anyone else about it since then.

> When we have had archers from this region go
> to events out of region and try to get authorized either those with the
> power to authorize tell them:  "You should be authorized by your regional
> marshal as I dont know you well enough to do the authorization myself"

This is absolutely the case. No one should authorize anyone they are
not certain has the skill. I hold all of my authorizing marshals personally
responsible for that and I will pull both authorizations (combatant and
marshal) should there be a severe issue with the combatant. Now that being
said, if at an event with CA, they should be able to determine if a
combatant or CA marshal has the experience they need via direct observation.

Why do I hold them to this level of responsibility? Because CA in the
SCA is on a very thin line of existance. If someone who is not safe
showed up to an InterKingdom War and did something stupid/dangerous, it
would not only reflect on the individual and Kindgom, but on CA in
general. There are many people even at the highest levels of the SCA
marshalet and precedence that want CA to be gone from this game. Most
people in this Kingdom do not see this because Ansteorra is *very* CA
friendly. Because of this bias there are a couple Kingdoms that have
less than a dozen archers and several InterKingdom wars that fail to
have CA all. People are just looking for the *one* incident to happen
to pull the plug on the entire thing Society-wide.

> or we are told "You need to speak to to the Kingdom Archery Marshal as
> your not from this region and I am only authorizing those individuals
> from my region".

This is an outdated method of thinking from prior to the changes around
the turn of the year. I will make sure all of the current authorizing
marshals know that they should *not* have this attitude and they should
authorize anyone they are comfortable authorizing.

> You were unable to attend several events here in the west that you had
> originally made plans to attend and so has others with the ability to
> do authorizations

To my knowledge I had only missed one event (Gothic) that *I* had planned
on attending. Others had *assumed* I was going to be at other events
and I tried to rearrange my schedule to make that happen but could not.
I'm sorry about that.

I will gladly post my personal travel schedule here so people know
where I'm going to be when. I generally know what is expected of me
for the next 6 months.

September
 9-11 Fall Arts
16-18 No travel due to mundane conflict
23-25 Elfsea Defender - Pelican Circle
30- 2 Undetermine - Desire to go on Glean Ahban if it happens

October
 7- 9 No travel due to mundane travel to Kansas
14-16 Tenative Bjornsborg
21-23 Bryn Gwlad Baronial
28-31 Tenative Middleford off-calendar event due to work conflict

November
 4- 6 Tournament of the Rose
11-13 Three Kings
18-21 Autumn Melees
25-27 Thanksgiving "rest"

December
Uncertain dates for Bryn Gwlad Yule revel
Uncertain dates for work travel to California

January
 6- 8 Steppes Twelfth Night
13-15 Coronation
20-22 Round Table
27-29 Off - Potential work travel to Massachussets

February
 3- 5 Candlemas
10-12 TBD
17-19 Personal conflict between IxeAx and Kingdom A&S
23-26 TBD

March
10-19 Gulf War

> What level of experience are you looking for someone to be in the regional office Pug??

I expect them to be capable of being an authorizing marshal for at least
target or combat archery and working towards the other. If a person does
not take the incentive (which may require travel) to address these issues,
I am not going to give them the position.

When you dissused this with me me about this previously I had thought
you were unwilling to do the job. If I am mistaken about that I will gladly
consider you for the position and hope that Cameron would be willing to
work with you to be trained to the level that is expected of a Regional.

As an FYI, I have had another Arc D'Or member approach me about what
it takes to become an authorizing marshal and I sent them the guidelines
that I expect. I would love to be able to pull upon those individuals
for the areas of expertise that they have, but most of them do not
have expertise in CA. I have not directly approached them in part
because I assumed if they had the desire for the extra work they would
have approached me.

Ciao,

--
Phelim "Pug" Gervase   |  "The problem's plain to see
Bryn Gwlad - Ansteorra |   Too much technology."