[Ansteorra-missile] Clear the bow!

Donnchadh Beag mac Griogair donnchadh at cornelius.norman.ok.us
Thu Dec 13 14:29:31 PST 2007

The new Complete Participant's Handbook was just released to the list by
the Earl Marshal. They still have to sign it, so it's not quite official
yet. Looking at it, for combat archery, we are going to SCA standards
with just a few exceptions (see below). Two of the changes I can see
right off are "clear the bow" rules, and 1/2 inch padding on UHMW heads.
I'm interested to see what other changes this brings. What else do you
guys see?

***********
Section 5 - Missile Weapons Conventions and Equipment Standards
Ansteorra requires that all combatants adhere to the SCA Missile Combat
Rules described in a
separate section of the SCA Marshal’s Handbook with only the following
changes:

Ansteorra restriction: Strike all wood and golf tube combat archery
ammunition. Only
fiberglass and siloflex equivalent combat archery ammunition is permitted.

Section I.B.1. Combat Archery or the use of other missile weapons may be
used in
tournaments, melees and wars when specifically designated for such and
allowed by
Society standards.

Section IV.D.General.4. Shall have a single solid fiberglass, steel or
aluminum prod. The use
of multiple fiberglass rods is not permitted.

Section IV.D.Light.1. A Light Crossbow is one which does not exceed 600
inch pounds or 75 pounds
of draw strength. The number of inch […]

Section IV.D.Heavy.1. Crossbows shooting exclusively tube arrows may
have a power of up to 1000
800 inch pounds or 90 pounds of draw strength, and are considered Heavy
Crossbows.

Section IV.E.Shafted.3. Only wood or solid fiberglass shafted arrows are
permitted. Shafts should
have a minimum diameter of 1/4 inch and maximum diameter of 3/8 inch for
fiberglass or
5/16 inch for wood.

For convenience the entire SCA Missile Combat Rules of the SCA Marshal’s
Handbook
(http://www.sca.org/officers/marshal/combat/archery/missile_combat_plus_supplement.pdf)
and all pertinent
Handbook updates
(http://www.sca.org/officers/marshal/combat/archery/index.html) through
December
2006 are included below in Section 11 - VII. In case of conflict, the
version maintained on the SCA
marshallate site supersedes the version in the appendix.

Donnchadh