[Ansteorra-missile] glue

Eadric Anstapa eadric at scabrewer.com
Mon Feb 18 20:01:48 PST 2008

Robin Allen wrote:
> What's the latest on glue for asgard APDs? Anything found that is better than Goop?
>   Robin

It's strange that you posted this message today since Asgard APD's and
glue were on my evening agenda.

GOOP or E6000 are still pretty much the standard glues used and seem to
work well if ya put em on right.  Vent the Asgard APD's, clean up and
rough up the inside of the APDs, clean up and rough up the shafts.  Let
the glue dry for a week+ before using em, mebbe longer if it is cold.

We know poly glue like Gorilla glue is bad, it expands and causes
problems and is too brittle.  We know many CA glues (superglues),
particularly the affordable ones, get too brittle.

The rules are the have to be securely attached.  So use what ya want as
long as they are securely attached.

Obviously we always want to find a better glue.  Anything that holds
better and lasts longer means less work with maintainance in the long
run.  To that end tonight I took 2 dozen new shafts and APD's and used 4
different glues affixed 6 each.  The plan is to let then cure for a week
and a week from tonight we will have half dozen or so of the war company
members and we are going to see if we can tell a difference.

I used Marine GOOP, E6000, Bond 527, and "Welder".

personally I have never been able to tell any difference in all the
various goops.  I think "Amazing GOOP" and "Craft GOOP", and "Marine
GOOP" and "Outdoor GOOP" and "Plumbing GOOP" and "RV GOOP" and
"Household GOOP" and "Automotive GOOP" and "Lawn & Garden GOOP" and
"Wood and Furniture GOOP" are all just about the same and are a
marketing ploy to get it on as many shelves in as many different
sections of the supercenter as possible.  E6000 is made by the same
company I I can tell much difference with it either.  Mebbe E600 is a
little thicker.

I have hopes for 527.  I dunno why I haven't tried it before.  I keep it
around and have used it on other items and it works well on plastics.
It is thinner and I have also used it for fletching when I have a finish
that Duco doesn't want to stick to.  Since it is thinner it flows more
easily and it also has a stronger solvent odor.  It will be interesting
in a week to see how it compares.

Regards,

-EA