ARN - from Kazimir, what does it take?

Tim Goins timgoins at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 16 23:24:33 PDT 1999

I want to know exactly what it takes to become a cadet???
"daemon strong"

Milord, I'm a 15 or 16 year member. I discovered Rapier about 6? or 7 ?years ago (when Galen
Niccoli was a cadet! Gee how long ago WAS that?) and I decided it was too much fun to pass up.  I
never thought about being a Don for the first 3 or 4 years. I was simply there to enjoy the play
and the friendships.  Later my best friend became a Don. The goal seemed a worthwhile one and
possibly attainable. I did not go to him seeking to be a cadet. He couldn't teach me what I needed
to know.  He DID teach me many things and set an example. But I waited until I later found a man I
respected both for his skill and his personality.  This Don was also something my friend wasn't.
He was tall, just like me.  This man could teach me to play using my size because he knew it, it's
strengths and it's weaknesses.  This may not be important to everyone but I needed it.  I built a
friendship with him and his family.  Later I approached the subject of becoming his cadet.  He was
honest and forthright and asked me some questions that I hadn't asked myself: Why did I want to be
a Don? What did I want from the relationship? Would I see it thru?  He  and I took some time to
consider the pros and cons before saying yes.  We cemented the bonds before friends and family as
his Lady and mine placed the red scarf on my shoulder.  I may not be any closer to becoming a Don,
but I have become a better swordsman, duellist, teammate, gentleman and friend.  All this boils
down to this one thing: Do not rush into a scarf for the wrong reasons or at the wrong time.  In
time I hope you will find the right person to be both the teacher and friend that you need.  But
for now concentrate on having fun every time you pick up the rapier.  Our rule is "if you're not
having fun, get off the field."
===
Ld. Andrew Selwyn
A Gentleman Of NorthKeep in Ansteorra,
Cadet to Don James Navarre
"si tu posse legere hic tu in regula ordinare"
If you can read this you are in cannon range.
(Bumpersticker on the race-built galleon RAPTOR.)