ARN - Time for Nubies....was Problems?

PAKALNIS.DAVID@heb.com PAKALNIS.DAVID at heb.com
Thu Aug 12 08:18:02 PDT 1999

Someone said:
> always fighting each other and didn't make time  for the newer fighters
> at practices and/or during pick-up fights.  Or that maybe was that we
> didn't make enought time, and the newer fighters didn't feel like they
> belonged.   Do others see this as a problem?  What do you think we can
> do to improve this?

Well, I *AM* a new fighter (6 months) and I personally dont think this is a
"problem".  I will admit that it can be quite intimidating being new to the
SCA.  This is my opinion and perception, since I am sill "new" it is fresh in
my mind, and unfortunately many forget the days of being a nubie.  Where was
I? oh yes.

Basically people usually fence who they know, or spend time with or who they
like to fight.  There are many reasons, why one would choose an opponent.
Recently at ATYC, I fought as many opponents as I could, to get the
experience.  I faced over 27 different opponents that morning (boy did I pay
for that one the next day!).  It was a tremendous experience.  I enjoyed them
all.  I did not "win" all of the bouts, and the more experienced fighters did
beat me, but I learned.  The honorable fighters I bested, once I realized I
had the upper hand (i.e. I was not desperately fending for my life) I was able
to work on more subtle elements, which I cannot always do when facing
extremely challenging opponents.  Every bout has the potential to be a great
one, if we seek it.

Many people have helped me feel welcome, but it is entering a new social
circle, which can be difficult.  Some of the great people who have helped (you
know who you are, GROUP HUG :)   , but I also had to approach them, no one is
going to put more effort into my enjoyment than I am.

To improve this?  Well, encourage the new people to participate, and remember
that EVERYONE is really a hopitaliter, especially when new people are on the
scene.  Recently in a bout at queens with a don, after very skillfully taking
me for the first time, my worthy oponnet realized that his skill was greater
than mine, instead of eliminating me immediatly, we had a great time much to
the amusment of our selves and the onlookers.  Who won the bout?  We both did.
 He continued on to the next round, and I had a great experince to take home
with me, and the queen made it safely away! ;)

Just my humble nubie opinion
Jean-Paul Louis Ghislaine
Bjornsborg
Ansteorra