ARN - Cold Blades

CADET1313@aol.com CADET1313 at aol.com
Sat Dec 4 23:07:50 PST 1999

In a message dated 12/4/99 10:45:53 PM Central Standard Time, mbhite at arn.net
writes:

<< Greetings,

 When I first started playing some years ago, I was told that practicing
 with an Epee (or any other metal blade) in cold weather was a bad idea
 because there is a larger chance of the blade braking.  I have always
 followed this advice, but I was wondering if anyone had so data to back
 this up.    And if so at what temperature is it considered unsafe to
 practice in?

 May we meet on the field as friends,
 Marquet de la Heyt
 Cadet to Don Donovan >>

I also have always been told to "warm" my blades before using them. In both
the SCA and when I fenced in the Navy and UT Fencing Club. I think it is
because the cold makes the blades more brittle. And warming them helps them
to bend the way they should.

Pieter