ARN - Blade Inspection

Gail P. Taylor gtaylor at lonestar.jpl.utsa.edu
Mon Feb 8 10:44:56 PST 1999

In a somewhat recent post, Don Kazimir asked people for
information regarding their procedure for armor and weapons
inspection.  I don't believe that he got many responses.
This information will be used to create a set of
instructions for marshals.   In my recent sojournes about
various regions of the Kingdom, being inspected by
marshalsfrom different groups, I do believe that such a
resource would be quite valuable, particularly involving
blade inspections.  Below, I'll list how I usually inspect
various blades.  Anybody with additional input about this
inspection process, should make
additions/corrections/deletions.

Take blade-
A.  Epee or foil or daggers
1.  Look at hilt.  Is it legal for the type of blade that
it's being used for?
2.  Look for signs of impending failure and excessive
stiffness -  a.  Is is gradually curved?  Look down the
blade from different angles.  Kinked or very sharp bends are
failed immediately.  Does most of the curve occur in one
region, indicating a potential problem?  Do any
discontinuities seem the result of manufacture...or is there
something seriously wrong?  b.  Is the metal fatigued?  Poke
it gently at the ground, with the curve.  Does it readily
pick up an excessive amount of additional curve, indicating
metal fatigue?  Controversial- poke it into the ground,
gently, against the curve.  Does it readily "s"...indicating
a possible loss of elasticity?  c.  Is it so stiff that it's
likely to fail to give, and injure someone?
3.  Examine the blade for burrs- Look at the blade and slide
the fingers and down the blade, working towards the tip.
4.  Look for rust on the blade-  May indicate a problem, but
mostly will just wreck people's clothes with rust stains.
Have people clean a rusty blade.
5.  Examine the tip:  a.  Is it of the correct size and
composition?  (Need something about leather and tape, and
tool dip tips...how can we inspect when we don't know what
it looks like in the first place?  Also...how to deal with
tape-covered fencing tips and bird blunts)  b.  Will the tip
stay on?  Duct tape that has been in a hot car for a while
loses its proper glue consistency.  Tug at the tip a bit and
twist it with two fingers.

B.  Schlager:  Single gradual curve not needed.
Discontinuities are not as serious.  Other inspection the
same.