ARN - our goals

Marcus Hite mbhite at arn.net
Sat Jul 31 13:37:31 PDT 1999

Greetings unto my fellow rapier combatants,

Someone on an inter kingdom list  mentioned ,that we as a rapier
community do not have any goals. I would like to see what our list
thinks of this idea.  First, I want to ask this list  of Ansteorrans
what should be the goal of our rapier community? Do you think we even
need a common goal?  Below are my views for your reading.......... ....
..... ...

I have been thinking about what would be a good goal for the community
as a whole?  We have rapier in most of the kingdoms now, but look inside
your own kingdom.  How many groups don't have rapier. How many new
groups are in your area?  How about having the goal of spreading rapier
to every  group, both large and small.  Not that we would force anyone,
but that we would travel to the smallest group and put on rapier demos,
teach marshaling, and teach fighting, we can make ourselves available to
these groups.  Yes, that means taking a step back, missing  important
events, or good tourneys to go and spread rapier to the far reaches of
your kingdom.

I'm not saying that there aren't people out there demoing, traveling,
and teaching, but there is only a handful from what I see.

Maybe this doesn't seem like a problem in your area, but I bet it is
somewhere in your kingdom.  I know here in Ansteorra the western region
has this problem.  I believe about 1/2 of our local groups don't even
have local rapier marshals, and  they need help so they can develop and
become part of the rapier community.   The interest is there, but they
have no leaders, all their would be leaders  are off at events, or not
interested, or not aware of this problem.  I write not to upset anyone,
but to maybe help give our community a new goal, to bring new blood into
our community, and spreading the knowledge of rapier.  I think this is
an achievable goal.............do you?

If your a fighter and not conformable teaching, (many aren't, there is
nothing wrong with this), you could always go along with a teacher to
help do demos and help where you feel conformable and where you can.

May we meet on the field as friends,
Marquet de la Heyt
Cadet to Don
Donovan