ARN - Fencing Helms

Zimmermann, Leonard zimmerml at kci1.com
Tue Jun 8 15:21:09 PDT 1999

Iain Dyved MacDowell wrote:
> I have an Armorer who is willing to make me a fencing helm.
> What I need, is
> to find out the current and proposed rules for fencing helms.
>  If any of you
> kind gentles would point me in the right direction I would greatly
> appreciate it.

I lost my URL for the proposed rules, but the draft I have (which I believe
is the current proposed set) states:

"The front and top of the head must be covered by rigid material to below
the jaw line and behind the ears.  Standard 12 kg fencing masks are known to
meet this standard.  If built to this standard, fencing helms are also
acceptable."

I believe the current standard is a 12kg fencing mask (sometimes referred to
as a three-weapons mask). As long as it provides equivalent protection you
should be in good shape. Now you might be confused by where "below the
jawline" and "behind the ears" is... I'd say make your best guess, since I'm
pretty sure the rule isn't going to get any less ambiguous.

Best of luck on the new helm!

Honos Servio
Lionardo Acquistapace, Bjornsborg
(Lenny Zimmermann, San Antonio