ARN - Squires and Cadets et al.

joe rummel jerummel2000 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 1 13:15:51 PST 2000

In thinking about period taverns, we are better off picturing something like a modern British pub or a causal dining resturant with a bar (like chili's or benegan's) rather than what is usually portrayed in both good and bad period movies.  In the little reading I've done that has touched on the subject this seems to be the more accurate view.  I do think, however, that taverns/pubs would have been closely linked to the class of the partrons.  Upper class, middle class and peasents would not eat at the same places.

Benedict / Joe

  amberd at flash.net wrote:

Yes, very interesting. After your comment I did a quick perusal of a few web
topics and came across a comment that taverns were concidered higher class than
alehouses because wine (which was served in taverns) was more expencive than
ale.

Amerinda

Benedict wrote:
> I recently read an article that was regarding the daily habits of the
Elizabethan middle
> and upper class, not noblity. It stated that the vast majority of houses in
the middle
> and upper-middle classes did not contain what we would regard as a kitchen.
The article