ARN - Heavy Rapier Only?

Chris Backus cbackus at enid.com
Thu Feb 24 17:30:28 PST 2000

I will say in advance that I didn't seem to get Don Etienne's post, so I'm
replying to Chandranath's response.

I feel that I don't exactly fall into either category.  I've been fighting
with schlagers for roughly six to seven years and I love them.  I love the
blade weight.  I feel it slows down a fight enough so thinking instead of
reacting enters the picture.  I've been in epee fights where the fight was
over and I had won before I realized either of us had moved.  The body does
what it's trained to do, but there is less time to enjoy the fight as it
progresses and spectators have less chance of watching exchanges because the
blades are less visible and moving faster.  Schlagers are generally straight
so the tip is an extension of the arm and no adjustment must be made for the
"gradual bend" that epees have.  I love the great guards that tend to be put
on heavy rapiers.  The average heavy rapier set up seems to be more stylish
than the average light rapier set up.

I don't feel I'm in it for the advantages it gives me, because I feel my
biggest advantages are enhanced by light blades.  I'm better with heavy
blades, though, because I love them.  You're always best with a tool you
love.

Hawkins
Cadet to Don Navarre