ARN - Are Del Tin's still experimental?

R. Smith superboy at lsh.org
Mon Mar 6 10:49:57 PST 2000

Allow me to be among the first to state my heavyhanded opinion. :)

If you are not used to heavy rapier, I recommend starting with a smaller
schlager.  I personally like the "short", stout, 34" schlagers, but even a
37" will be less unwieldy to you than a Del Tin.  After a half a year of
regular schlager practice, I still find the Del Tin difficult to be really
effective with.  It is nice for range, nice for quality, and it is a really
spiffy reproduction, but I hold to my claim that they are a bear to use,
particularly if you are used to solely lighter stuff.  And they cost an arm
and a leg. :)

I went through this same angst when I was deciding what to get, but I'm
glad I picked up a shorter blade first.  Someday I will be pleased to get a
Del Tin -- but only when it's not an expensive toy for me that when I use
it, I get smeared.

To my understanding, the Del Tin is considered suitable for all schlager
uses in Kingdom.  Reality check, people closer to the source?

Chandranath
Student of Walter Robin