ARN - Re: RN- Fighting indoors

gptaylor gtaylor at lonestar.jpl.utsa.edu
Tue May 30 15:32:11 PDT 2000

What has brought up the question of indoor vs Outdoor fighting events is
Ansteorra's upcoming Queen's Champion Tourney.

The site has been reserved.  The list field is generally placed in an area of
direct sunlight, on grass.  At the time of year when Queen's will be held, it
will be over 100 degrees, with considerable humidity.
This same site also has a large hall.  Huge, in fact.  It can probably easily
hold six to eight individual fields, if needed.  It's Air Conditioned, which
means that it will drop the temperature by about 15 degrees, and may remove some
of the moisture in the air (depending on the type of AC it is).  It has a
concrete floor that's not horribly slippery (I fought on it, and it gave traction
at least equivalent to slightly damp morning grass).

Word has it that the last time one of our Queens held an indoor Championship, she
received grief from people who would rather have had it held outdoors.

No matter what our Princess chooses, she will receive grief.

I, personally, get very bad heat headaches, to the point of nausea, no matter how
much I drink (heat, not dehydration, related) and subsequent lingering mental
dullness.  I can't even warm up enough to fight well, without overheating, in
high temperatures.  I practice on concrete.  In this light, knowing that there is
an air conditioned hall 500 yards away would be horrible.

That said, and assuming that they've actually reserved the hall for the
day...could, perhaps, we Ansteorrans get permission from HRH to vote as a
community, for which place on the Canton site we want to hold the tourney?  HRH
Allyson can always choose to accept our decision or not...it's still up to
her...but doing this ourselves would potentially make it our own decision and
take any flack off of her.  I'll abide by the decision of the community and not
whine (and die quickly and go sit in the hall if we hold it outside...okay, got
the whining out of the way).

Our present auth cards have email addresses on them, which probably are in
Mistress Stella's database.   If we ask and get a green light, would anyone have
time to do one heck of a multimailing?  I'll do it if necessary...but am swamped
with other SCA obligations...

Isobel (the heat wimp)