ARN - rant

J_SMALLW@TITAN.SFASU.EDU J_SMALLW at TITAN.SFASU.EDU
Tue Sep 19 06:08:44 PDT 2000

Quoting Chris Backus <cbackus at peakonline.com>:

<snip>

> It is true that the marshallate needs to be sure information gets out.
> The information was printed in the Black Star and we in the Northern
> region made an effort to reissue cards so everyone would have the new
> ones, most notably at Northern Regional Tribute right before Gulf War.
>
> Sometimes printed material is one way for the marshallate to get
> information out.  Word of mouth is another.  Chain of command is
> another, which in this case was weak since Chandra is one of my local
> marshals.  However, I think "either someone is not doing their job or
> just doesn't know what their job is." may be a little harsh.
>
> > Ansgar
>
> Hawkins.

Hawkins,

My comment regarding people's jobs when communications fail was not meant to
point fingers and say "bad marshal".  It is merely my observation of one of the
bigger problems we have in the marshallate.  It may sound harsh, but it breaks
it down to its simplist level without resorting to listing several exceptions
such as the old "lost in the mail" excuse.

For example, part of my job is to make sure the regionals know what their job
is and that they are doing it.  If I find that someone isn't doing their job,
then I've got to find out why.  It may be that I overlooked telling them.  It
may be they misunderstood me.  It could be that real life intruded and the job
didn't get done.  Bottom line is there was a failure somewhere.  Not
necessarily the end of the world, but something we need to take a look at and
address.

Ansgar