ARN - While we're talking about the new cards...

Hughes, David DJ SCC DH982420 at MSXWHWTC.shell.com
Tue Sep 19 12:37:47 PDT 2000

On Tuesday, September 19, 2000 1:49 PM, Drew Nicholson2
[SMTP:dnicholson at synectics.com] wrote:

| Without intending any offense to anyone involved in the writing of the
| text
| of the card...

| ok.  Obviously someone must have thought that this was cute and funny.
|  And
| I bet it was.
|
| The first 50 times or so.
|
| My _boring_ MidRealm card says something like:  "Be it known that
| [name]
| known in these Current Middle Ages as [sca-name] is authorized to
| participate in the following fencing related activities:"
|
| And then has check marks next to various forms, etc.  The new MidRealm
| Uber
| Card (which has everything combat related on it) probably says close
| to the
| same thing...
|

| I guess my first qualm would be "What if that had to be read into the
| record
| in a mundane Court of Law setting or something?"
|
| purp

There might be a ripple of laughter from the gallery. (Funny the first 50
times <G>)
If any question arose, checking a dictionary would show that it is a variant
of "okeydoke" an adverb used to express assent, coined circa 1932, being
used as a noun by the structure of the sentence. Questionable grammar,
perhaps, but better than that used in some current legislation.

David Gallowglass