ARN - schlagger

Hughes, David DJ SCC DH982420 at MSXWHWTC.shell.com
Wed Sep 20 07:26:06 PDT 2000

On Wednesday, September 20, 2000 9:08 AM, Chris Backus
[SMTP:cbackus at peakonline.com] wrote:
| The easiest way I've found is to go to an archery supply store and
| buy
| a rubber rabbit blunt.  Trim any pointy projections from the end and
| insure it is smooth (don't remove any real material except the cone
| shaped pointy projections).
|
| Check that the tip of the schlager is cut straight across.  Check
| that
| the end is clean and not greasy (might keep the tape from sticking
| well).
|
| Drop washer that you bought to fit in the rabbit blunt in the rabbit
| blunt.  This will help preserve the blunt, but is optional.
|
| Put the blunt over the tip of the schlager.
|
| Tape the blunt on to the schlager with a contrasting color of duct
| tape.
|
| Others have used different methods, but this one will work.
|
| Don Stephen Hawkins
| Northern Regional Rapier Marshal

You can also fill the blunt with High-Temperature Hot Melt adhesive just
before shoving it on the end of the schlaeger.
This slightly warms and softens the blunt, making it a little easier to
mount, and then cools and sets, making the blunt pretty much a permanent
part of the blade ( Can still by removed by warming in boiling water, of cut
off with a sharp knife).
Be aware that any excess adhesive will be squeezed out and needs to be wiped
off before it sets.
Using this makes the contrasting tape purely a visual aid for the
convenience of the marshals, unnecessary for keeping the blunt on the blade.

David Gallowglass