[Ansteorra-rapier] Advisory Roll

David Hughes davidjhughes.tx at netzero.net
Fri Jul 20 14:57:24 PDT 2001

Reply in middle:

Jesus Cavazos wrote:

> What is written below are my personal opinions. I do not insist everyone, or
> expect anyone to feel the same. A question was asked. I am answering it with
> my personal views.
>
> As far as candidates are concerned;
> WS can't be every where to see every one. And there are times when a fighter
> can't travel outside a certain area either for financial, transportation,
> responsibilities, or whatever. And he/she are not "seen". Too many times
> these unseen fighters fall through the cracks. And after years of fighting
> honorably, win and losing with grace, teaching, doing A&S, helping when
> needed, and all the rest, they come to feel a simple thanks or recognition
> from their peers would be nice. Even if it's not a white scarf or an award.
> Just a simple thanks. And when it doesn't come, they become disgruntaled.
> And feel all they've done has been for nothing. That they are neither
> appeciated, or wanted. So they leave. And the community as a whole becomes
> less for the loss.
> It's in these cases it should fall on the other fighters, marshals, the
> crowns repesentatives to speak for them. They should be able to say, "Hey,
> there's this fighter in Whereever who is doing all the right things. The WS
> should look at him/her." And the WS can ask the marshals in the area, or
> some Peer, or whomever is in the area about the fighter. Or maybe make a
> special trip. And give this fighter some recognition. Even if it is a simple
> thanks. And the WS should tell the other WS's about this fighter. So that if
> another WS sees them, they can at least pay some attention to the fighter.
> Sorry, this is a touchy subject for me. And I could go on for a while so
> I'll stop on that.

And they can do that.  ANYONE can write a Letter of Recommendation to
the Crown suggesting that someone be considered for an award.
The Crown pays a lot of attention to these, and will certainly bring
someone proposed for a WSA or OQR to the attention of the WSA cicle,
for feedback if nothing else.

In the case you presented, a letter ( possibly copied to the Crown) to
the local representative of the Crown, typically the local Baron,
detailing the person's effort, worth, service, etc., with a suggestion
for a Baronial award, or a request for the Baron to write a letter on
this person's behalf to the Crown for recognition at the Kingdom
level, could be very effective.

David Gallowglass