[Ansteorra-rapier] Re: Soap Boxes

Laurie Garnes llgarnes at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 23 20:25:31 PDT 2001

Thank everyone for your responses, private or otherwise.  Those of you who offered
fights next time I see you, thank you, I'll be looking for you!  (I'm not sure who
should be more afraid of that statement!)  I'll just reply to each of you in turn:

Brendan - I have seen you and taken a class from you, and only crossed blades with
you once (It was a blur that lasted mere seconds, as I recall *challenge turney*)
:)  I'll continue looking for you, however, as I've taken a class of yours and
would like more instruction on not telegraphing.  You asked what events I plan on
attending.
Queens (I understand that one will be difficult to drag some people away from, but
I will be staying for Sunday's practice)
August is up in the air, but Lughnasad is looking good.
Gothic War (Come join us in the West, we have a "rollickin' good time"!)
Defender of the Fort (fingers crossed)
Elfsea Defender (questionable, but still keeping an eye on it)
Bryn Gwlad Baronial
Bjornsborg Baronial
Samhain Stew (Tempio)
After that, I'm not sure at all.

Dore - I like your idea of getting a group together to do pickups after the 3rd
round.  Who will I need to speak to about having it announced?  If you do find
yourself with time during any of that, I would love the opportunity to fight with
you once again.  The last time we had the opportunity was at Kingdom practice
almost a year ago in Rosenfeld.  I've never caught you at an event since at a good
time.  (And as I mentioned above, I will be at Sunday's practice.)

Elene - I love to fight with anyone willing, regardless of scarves.  I enjoy it
tremendously.  However, as these out of region events have been some of  my only
opportunities to get instruction, I tend to try that avenue first.  I'm working on
the heavy rapier equipment.

Ld Carlos - Yes, when I can't find someone to fight with me, I never hesitate to
watch.  But I do learn more from doing than watching.

KayLeigh - I wasn't complaining about the travel issue.  I do as much traveling as
I can and am very grateful to those who can and will come visit us here.  As for
making myself known, I guess I'm not very memorable, but I keep trying.
You asked me several questions - When am I asking people to fight?  Well, I've
asked before a tournament starts (to get some warm ups).  I've asked between bouts
(not really expecting much on those occassions, usually special circumstances
involved).  I've asked after someone was out of a tournament (since they probably
told me "later" before the tournament).
Am I asking the same people?  Sometimes, because I know them, but sometimes I will
go up to strangers.  Usually, I ask someone I know to introduce me on those
occassions.
Am I reminding them that they told me "later"?  Yes.
What events am I doing this at?  Well, Rogues and Rapiers, Hero of the Temple
(only Baron Theodric and I were doing pickups that day), and I did ask several
people to fight with me on Saturday at Steppes, but only got to fight 2 fights.
One was the gentleman (I'm sorry his name escapes me) who was running the gauntlet
and one was my husband.  He and I both desperately wanted to fight that day,
because he had to fly back to London the next day and we would not be able to be
there for the tourney.

Anyway, I want to thank you all again.  I was merely voicing my frustrations, not
suggesting that I was going to give up.  I'll keep trying.  I just wanted to
perhaps let some of you know what the feeling is among us non-scarves.  I'm not
the only one who feels this way.

Now, as a plug for the Western Region...I would like to personally invite anyone
who would like to teach to Trelac on any prearranged weekend (or weekday(s) if
it's easier).  I will feed you well (really!  You can ask Gwynneth and Avery if
you don't believe me!) and I can provide your own room with a waterbed (I've
upgraded since the aforementioned were here!).  If needed, I can also pay for
gas.  As the rapier marshal for my shire, I would like to provide any opportunity
for instruction for our group, as well as any in the Western Region who could join
us.  I could almost guarantee a rapt audience of no less than 5, but could
probably have more if given enough notice.

Thank you for your time.

Muirghien MacKiernan