[Ansteorra-rapier] New Student Inundation...

gtaylor gtaylor at lonestar.jpl.utsa.edu
Fri Oct 26 07:19:45 PDT 2001

You had Vinnie Bradford for an instructor?  :)
She is cool.  She runs PAC (Palo Alto College) fencing here in San Antonio, now.

I did not drill much at all during my first 4+ years of fencing.  I felt like a
clod whenever any "backyard" folk would teach them at an AoR.  However, in the
months before I got a WS, I decided that I needed to improve a good number of
things about my fencing and teaching, and went to PAC for a few months, to learn
drills and see how modern fencing is taught.  If my arm had stood up to doing
both types of fencing, I'd probably still be going.  Vinnie still has coaches
colleges, at which she'll being in pros, who also knew other nifty fencing
tricks....ask Don Piet about Alex Beguinet's (Duke Fencing Coach...very cool guy
and non-hostile to SCA) disarming moves.

I find that drills are good when you have a large group of people to teach.
Some people need to drill to learn.  Also...I feel it's a really good way for me
at this point to improve footwork...something that most of us still need work
on...

Isobel