[Ansteorra-rapier] Cadets Corner

James Crouchet jtc at io.com
Thu Jan 24 14:35:56 PST 2002

> Fighter practice was the most difficult part for him. We would get
> there, he would set up and then he would end up either standing around
> waiting for someone to fight or fighting the same person all night.
> This will now be a thing of the past if all the previous postings will
> come to pass and I am certain that it will.

I am not picking on the person described in the piece I quoted above; I
don't know his story. But I frequently see related complaints and I
have to take them with a grain of salt.

Last Tuesday was our last practice before Queens. I spent about 1/4 of
my time introducing newcomers, brand new to the SCA, to the people
who shared their interests.  I spent about another 1/4 on baronial
business and announcements. I spent about 1/4 of my time working
with my cadet and an advanced student. The remaining quarter was
spent working with or sparring with new fencers. Afterward, everyone
seemed equally dissatisfied with the amount of time I was able to give
them. I guess everyone concluded I wasted 3/4 of my time. :-)

When I hear lots of people agreeing that all they do at FP is stand
around, I must conclude that anytime 3 people are standing around at
the same FP, it is because they choose to do so. If you really are
abandoned and alone, find a set of 3 fighters (2 fighting and 1
marshaling, right?) and ask to rotate through with them (best 2 out of 3
works well). It is time to stop playing the social game of dancing around
each other waiting for the "right" fight. Buck up, display a little intestinal
fortitude and ask. And ask again and again if needed. I don't guarantee
anyone that if they come to our practice they will get to fight a particular
person, but if they are willing to work at it they will get plenty of fighting.

Dore