[Ansteorra-rapier] Schlager Blades

James Crouchet james at crouchet.com
Thu Jun 3 15:14:24 PDT 2004

Ok, first we have to decide what you mean by "schlager".

In the SCA we often refer to all the fencing blades heavier than epee/foil
as schlagers. However, that term is not technically correct. An actual
schlager blade is different from a practice rapier blade.

Last I heard Hanwei only made practice rapier blades, NOT schlagers.

If there is a new brand of schlager blade out there it needs to be reviewed
by the Deputy Society Marshal for Rapier  (DSMR) before it is legal
anywhere.

If the blade of which you speak is a practice rapier then if it is a
Hanwei, Scotty, Del Tin, TCA or Angus Trim it is ok. Otherwise it too will
need to be reviewed by the DSMR.

Finally, even if approved by the DSMR it must still be legal in YOUR
kingdom.

The quick way to find out if it is legal is to take the blade to your
Kingdom Minister of Fence or one of his/her deputies and ask.

Doré