[Ansteorra-rapier] gauntlets and rapier

Chris Zakes dontivar at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 04:27:57 PDT 2007

At 10:38 PM 10/8/2007, you wrote:

>I have a question. I have a leather half gauntlet with
>steel plates on the back of the hand and the wrist.
>Can this be declared as a parrying or defensive device
>if the opponents blade hits the steel.   I know it
>would be a valid shot if it hit the leather.
>
>Goldweard

It would depend on the circumstances of the bout.

Here's what the Corporate Rapier Rules
(http://sca.org/officers/marshal/combat/rapier/rapier_handbook.pdf)
say on the matter:

"A. In judging blows, all fighters are presumed to be wearing common
civil attire of the period, not armor.

B. Tourneys may be held which define areas of the body as if armored,
and to what degree, so long as all the participants are made aware of
these special conditions prior to the start of combat."

And here's what the Ansteorran Rapier Rules (http://rapier.ansteorra.org/) say:

"A. In judging blows, all fighters are presumed to be wearing common
civil attire of the period, not armor. For the sake of definition,
the standard for civil attire is assumed to be lower stocks (hose),
upper stocks (pants), a shirt, a doublet or doublet/jerkin
combination, and shoes (not boots). No blow may be discounted because
of actual clothing or equipment worn unless agreed upon ahead of time.

B. The entire body is target for the delivery of blows.

C. Tourneys may be held which define areas of the body as if armored,
and to what degree, so long as all the participants are made aware of
these special conditions prior to the start of combat."

So unless you're in an armor-as-worn tourney, you can't arbitrarily
declare that your gauntlet is proof against rapier shots. You *might*
be able to have it considered as such in a regular tourney, if your
opponent and the marshals are agreeable. You can probably play with
it that way at fighter practice--basically, tell your opponent :"Hi,
I've got this new toy I want to play with, do you mind?"

         -Tivar Moondragon