[Ansteorra-rapier] When to wear a mail glove (was: Ansteorra- rapier Digest, Vol 17, Issue 4)

ihos at onebox.com ihos at onebox.com
Wed Oct 10 06:28:04 PDT 2007

 Tivar beat me to it!!!

Ashe

--
Thom Rolston
ihos at onebox.com - email
(512) 682-6901 x2721 - voicemail/fax

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Zakes
Sent: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 08:05:13 -0500
To: Ansteorra RapierNet
Subject: [Ansteorra-rapier] When to wear a mail glove (was: Ansteorra-rapier Digest, Vol 17, Issue 4)

At 07:33 AM 10/10/2007, you wrote:

>Well, using the logic of "what would happen in a duel", most of us assume
>that a duel is civilian combat and we are wearing civilian "street"
>clothing, so why would a mail gauntlet have been worn? We have masks/helms
>and gorgets, and additional protection for elbows & knees in Cut & Thrust,
>but those are conventions we use for protection from injury. Unless
>something is being done as "armor as worn", and Cut & Thrust which
>transitioned from armored to civilian combat, using a mail gauntlet to fight
>a rapier duel seems inconsistent at least, goofy at most. IMO.
>
>Corvin

A lot depends on the mindset you're using for the bout. If you're
figuring an SCA rapier bout is a chance encounter in the street,
leading to an immediate duel, then you're right that the participants
probably wouldn't be wearing a mail glove.

On the other hand, if you're figuring it as a formal, judicial-style
duel, then the armor and weapons would be whatever was agreed upon
beforehand. (Which could be anything from daggers and shirtsleeves to
full plate with jousting lances.)

On the third hand, if you're figuring it as a friendly competition
for exercise and the amusement of our ladies, or a formal Prize or
Challenge under the auspices of the London Masters of Defence, the
Marxbruder, or another combat school, then, again, the equipment
would be whatever was agreed upon by the combatants beforehand.

So in three cases out of four, there *is* a reasonable possibility
that a mail glove would be an opotion for the the fighters.

-Tivar Moondragon