[Ansteorra-rapier] AND (was: Re: Cloak play question)

Chris Zakes dontivar at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 18:46:06 PDT 2007

At 04:10 PM 10/12/2007, you wrote:
>I forgt ot add:
>
>You can thrust through your cloak with your weapon. It is ok if you let
>go of your cloak in the process.

How does that differ from throwing the cloak at
my opponent? Cloak-plus-blade is certainly going
to hit harder than cloak by itself.

>While we are talking about cloaks, what do you think of an "armor as
>worn" type rule allowing a cloak wrapped around the arm to be treated as
>armor?
>
>Doré, KRM

I've actually played with this a bit. During a
debate on how well a doublet would stop a draw
cut, I did a bit of experimenting. A single layer
of padded cloth can be sliced through fairly
easily. More layers make it increasingly harder.
The catch here is who decides what is sufficient
wrapping to stop a cut? The marshals during the
fight? The Marshallate via a formal rule? The fighter being cut?

At an Academy of the Rapier some years ago in
Emerald Keep, I tried thrusting my sharp rapier
through Alden's wadded-up wool cloak. The cloak
stopped the thrust dead and sustained no damage.
Now we're talking probably seven or eight layers
of cloak with a fair bit of air space as well, so
it's not directly comparable to a couple of
layers wrapped around an arm, but it surprised me
that the rapier didn't do *any* damage at all.

         -Tivar Moondragon