[Ansteorra-rapier] Chain mail gauntlet

Chris Zakes dontivar at gmail.com
Sat Oct 27 18:29:35 PDT 2007

At 09:17 PM 10/26/2007, you wrote:
>Greetings,
>
>So, let me see if I get this right.  A period tactic
>has been Red lighted......For what safety reason has
>this happened????

Not precisely. You can still wear a mail gauntlet whenever you want.
You can still grab blades (with or without a mail gauntlet) in any
bout where that move is legal.

If you're playing "armor as worn", cuts against the mail gauntlet are
ineffective. (Although it wasn't stated specifically, I doubt the
marshals would have much of a problem if you and your opponent agreed
beforehand to call a mail gauntlet that way in pretty much any bout.)

If you're *not* playing "armor as worn" then a mail gauntlet is
treated the same as a leather gauntlet: cuts will still count.

Regardless of what you're wearing, playing tug-of-war with the blades
is Right Out. Grab the blade, make your move and release the blade.
Wrestling over blades *is* a potential safety hazard--broken blades,
lost tips, maybe even broken fingers could result.

         -Tivar Moondragon