[Ansteorra-rapier] Spears for heavy Rapier

Chris Zakes dontivar at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 15:58:03 PDT 2009

At 02:08 PM 4/17/2009, you wrote:

>  I'm considering buying a spear for heavy rapier. I know that they
> are not legal, but i have not seen any attempts to find/develop a
> legal version.

As others have said, many designs have been tried--either attaching
some kind of fencing blade to a rattan or PVC handle, building a
spear of either rattan or PVC that had enough padding (it *might* be
possible, but you'd end up somewhere between a giant Q-tip and a
giant Tootsie-Pop) or some kind of telescoping PVC design. None of
them have worked.

>Right now, i am looking at the one from alchem armory. They are
>advertising it as a pike, in their "bucklers & pikes" section.
><http://www.alcheminc.com/bucklers.html>http://www.alcheminc.com/bucklers.html
>Does anyone have any hands-on experience with this weapon? Does
>anyone know of a different one anywhere that might be of interest?
>Is there anyone currently working on getting a spear approved for
>heavy rapier?

 From all accounts, it hits like the proverbial ton of bricks. Don't
waste your money. If you really want to fight with a spear, get
authorized on the armored field, where they've already gotten all the
bugs out of their spear design.

There's also this: historically speaking, rapier melees were pretty
uncommon. Rapier-and-pike melees are even less plausible.

         -Tivar Moondragon
(Personally, I wouldn't buy *anything* from Alchem, but that's a rant
for a different day.)